Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 05-12-2005, 09:34 PM

Default Bottom pair after lots of folds

Table is going through a little recycle with lots of new players coming and going. Only got 9 hands with Button.

Pretty standard play with raising after all these folds, but then Button pops me with a 3-bet. Is this fold fine, I was completely thrown off here.

Cheers,
Travis

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (10 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, SB calls, Hero folds.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:36 PM

Default Re: Bottom pair after lots of folds

Looks good to me against an unknown.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:20 PM

Looks good to me - raising you are hoping to fold everybody OR hit the miricle card.

Neither happen and worse yet - scare cards hit - you tried - you lost - move on. Pick your battles, don't let them pick you.

Grinders Warehouse BLOG Edition
Old 05-12-2005, 10:37 PM

I would say fold against an unknown, and even against most LAGs. What do you think he would 3-bet that you are beating here? AQ/AJ are about the only ones I can see.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would say fold against an unknown, and even against most LAGs. What do you think he would 3-bet that you are beating here? AQ/AJ are about the only ones I can see.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if he has AQ or AJ you're going to get outdrawn over 1/3 of the time, and could be faced with a flop raise making it likely you'll make errors on later streets.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:10 PM

good fold, methinks. You're getting 12-1 but you have to fold if you don't hit a 7 on the turn so it has to be better than 12-1, right? Maybe c/r would get you a free (actually, half-price) turn, but you're OOP for that so it's unlikely. Good fold.
Old 05-13-2005, 08:41 AM

There is the possibility that the button has a lower pair and was trying to get heads up with you. I would at least bet the flop and see what he does.

Without a read though, there aren't any other hands he could have that you beat.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're getting 12-1 but you have to fold if you don't hit a 7 on the turn so it has to be better than 12-1, right? Maybe c/r would get you a free (actually, half-price) turn, but you're OOP for that so it's unlikely.

[/ QUOTE ]

You only have 2 outs here if behind so you need about 24:1 to see another card. Even if you were to successfully check/raise for a free card you are putting in 2 bets to win 14, giving you 7:1 which is still shy of the odds needed to make this draw. More likely you will be 3-bet or bet into on the turn (since you are out of position).

Fold the flop.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:30 PM

Is betting the flop here wrong? Do we pick the pot 1 in 10?
If we get called, we might pick up a straight draw which we'll give us odds to see the river. No? Bad play?
Old 05-13-2005, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is betting the flop here wrong? Do we pick the pot 1 in 10?
If we get called, we might pick up a straight draw which we'll give us odds to see the river. No? Bad play?

[/ QUOTE ]

You could bet this flop if you thought you had a good chance of folding everyone. However keep in mind you're against a 3-better and SB called a 3-bet from the small blind so it is extremely unlikely that both would fold for 1 SB. Also the problem with the bdsd is you have one card on the sucker's end so you'll often lose when you hit.

Additionally against a preflop 3-bettor with position on you you're probably going to get raised or at least called and then have to continue your aggression on the turn (or check showing weakness). And if either player hit the board at all (which is extremely likely on this board) you'll likely be going to the river with one or both of them.