Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2005, 01:07 AM

Default Re: Airplane flying

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This really depends on how often you fly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've always heard that you need to fly about 100 hours a year to break even vs. renting. For most people 100 hours is ALOT of flying.

[/ QUOTE ]

True. But you can't get up at 7 and decide you want to fly to Vegas on a whim if you don't own one [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

I do believe, my only FYP.
Old 08-28-2005, 05:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
True. But you can't get up at 7 and decide you want to fly to Vegas on a whim if you don't own one [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
I do believe, my only FYP.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've done this. Flying yourself to Vegas owns. Bwahaha.

Oh, and I flew with my bud to Aspen, CO once too. Flying is the [censored].
Old 08-28-2005, 12:22 PM

You might want to also check near Ogden and other surronding airports. I'm in San Francisco but SFO is way too expensive to learn to fly at (they have a $75 landing fee among other things). Oakland was cheaper but it's still a busy airport which generally makes things expensive, not to mention that learning at a slower paced municipal airport is much more relaxing. Hayward (which is about 27 miles from San Francisco) is perfect for me because it is just busy enough to have a Control Tower so I get good practice at radio work but not so busy that I get overwhelmed. Also the rates for everything there are a lot cheaper.

I found this club in Ogden that seems to be a really good deal. Hill Flying Club It's $1500 to buy a share in the planes they have and then only $25 to $30/hr to rent their 172's and 182's respectively. My club has the best rates in the my area and $60-$85/hr is the range they rent those planes for. Of course you need to look into how well they maintain their planes first but it may be worth the drive to join a club up there.
Old 08-28-2005, 03:54 PM

Being color blind IS a problem.
Old 08-28-2005, 04:03 PM

FWIW -

I got my license way back in 1992. I soloed in 15 and got my private in about 65 hours. I understand that the averages are a bit higher now.

Also unless you live in an area where the weather is beautiful most of the time, you will eventually want to get an instrument rating so you can legally fly through the clouds.

I own a Piper Saratoga and fly between 125 and 150 hours a year. I am very glad that I did it. Plus when you wear your leather flight jacket you can tell the babes that, yes you really are a pilot.
Old 08-28-2005, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm going back to school in January to become an Air Traffic Controller.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are the requirements for Air Traffic Controller. Is a pilots license needed?
Old 08-28-2005, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW -

I got my license way back in 1992. I soloed in 15 and got my private in about 65 hours. I understand that the averages are a bit higher now.

Also unless you live in an area where the weather is beautiful most of the time, you will eventually want to get an instrument rating so you can legally fly through the clouds.

I own a Piper Saratoga and fly between 125 and 150 hours a year. I am very glad that I did it. Plus when you wear your leather flight jacket you can tell the babes that, yes you really are a pilot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh good, i need all the help i can get....especially with a nickname like POLLTARD.

polltard
Old 08-28-2005, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Plus when you wear your leather flight jacket you can tell the babes that, yes you really are a pilot.

[/ QUOTE ]