Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2005, 10:59 PM

Default Struggling with JJ

I'm wondering if I can get some feedback on how I've been playing JJ. I played around 1500 hands this weekend and this hand has been the most confusing for me. Mainly because I've been raising preflop with JJ, even if the pot has been raised. However, most of these hands are multiway, an overcard hits and I lay it down.

I'm wondering if I shouldn't play these so aggressive preflop. I guess what I'm asking is, if my strategy is to fold if the flop brings an overcard, does it make sense to three bet or cap a multiway pot PF?

Here is a sample hand:

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (10.40 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero folds.

One last thought: I was just looking at my stats from the weekend. Of all the pocket pairs AA-99, JJ was the only one I had a negative BB/100 rate on. Curiously enough, it was also the hand I got most. I guess that's why I'm asking for help [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-14-2005, 11:02 PM

Default Re: Struggling with JJ

A read of loose pre-flop on the villain in this hand, and I'm capping. This particular flop sucks for you hand, but I'd probably lead out, but I'm laggy like that.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A read of loose pre-flop on the villain in this hand, and I'm capping. This particular flop sucks for you hand, but I'd probably lead out, but I'm laggy like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, sorry no reads on the villian, he had recently arrived. UTG+1 was a fishy type, played a lot of flops.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:20 PM

Bet this flop every single time
Old 08-14-2005, 11:20 PM

Keep raising JJ preflop. Raise TT too. Hell, often you should be raising 99.

That king on the flop sucks about as bad as anything. There are not many hands that reraise preflop that you are ahead of when that K falls. AQs and TT are the ones I see. I still bet, and call a raise. Then my line is check call mode most of the time.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:23 PM

And when I mean every single time, I mean every single time (except for the occasional c/r). If the villain's stats are 5/1/0, you still bet this flop every time. You CANNOT afford to lay down and die the 47% of the time an overcard flops, especially since it's statistically unlikely that villain hit his king.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Keep raising JJ preflop. Raise TT too. Hell, often you should be raising 99.

That king on the flop sucks about as bad as anything. There are not many hands that reraise preflop that you are ahead of when that K falls. AQs and TT are the ones I see. I still bet, and call a raise. Then my line is check call mode most of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't see a loose .25/.5 party villain being able to 3-bet AT+, 88+, KJ+, excepting kings?
Old 08-14-2005, 11:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And when I mean every single time, I mean every single time (except for the occasional c/r). If the villain's stats are 5/1/0, you still bet this flop every time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd check-fold versus a 5/1/0 guy, on this flop. I'd probably check-fold versus a 5/1/0 guy on any flop that didn't bring me a set, if I trusted those numbers.

[ QUOTE ]
it's statistically unlikely that villain hit his king.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, it's not really that unlikely. Also, he may not have needed to.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You don't see a loose .25/.5 party villain

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And when I mean every single time, I mean every single time (except for the occasional c/r). If the villain's stats are 5/1/0, you still bet this flop every time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd check-fold versus a 5/1/0 guy, on this flop. I'd probably check-fold versus a 5/1/0 guy on any flop that didn't bring me a set, if I trusted those numbers.

[ QUOTE ]
it's statistically unlikely that villain hit his king.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, it's not really that unlikely. Also, he may not have needed to.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) Sorry, I exaggerated to make a point
2) I should define "statistically unlikely:" his range of hands don't necessitate that he hit a K on that flop.