Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2005, 11:39 PM

Default Flop quiz for you newer guys

This is a loose table, very lucrative. A lot of players like to see plenty of flops, and are pretty passive after the flop.

You are in the big blind with

A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

There are three callers, all loose preflop and weak and passive postflop, to a reasonable good aggressive player in the CO who raises. Button and SB fold, and you and the limpers call.

So the pot is 9.5 small bets (10.5-1 for the rake).

The flop is Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

What is your plan on this flop? Explain yr reasoning. Please Grunch.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:44 PM

Default Re: Flop quiz for you newer guys

Check planning to raise a bet from CO.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:46 PM

I bet this hand on the flop. There's a decent enough chance we're ahead in the hand here that we can bet. CO could have any range of hands since he's reasonably aggressive so I'm not too worried about him having a monster.

If I'm raised I'd probably go into check-call mode on the turn. I think we're in a WA/WB situation here as CO could be betting AK or the like. He could also have a PP or a strong queen.

If it is 3 bet before it gets back to me I'd probably call 2 seeing as I'd probably be getting ~8-1 on my call. I would then check-fold the turn unimproved.

Durs
Old 07-14-2005, 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Check planning to raise a bet from CO.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a pretty good option that I didn't think about. Check raising will most likely make the limpers face 2 cold (assuming the bet comes from the CO). This will keep our draws live and hopefully knock out someone who might hit a higher pair on the turn. We don't want someone in there with a K,J,10 or 9.

Durs
Old 07-15-2005, 12:09 AM

Grunching from a strict analysis point of view:

Let's see, what are our options?

Check/Fold: We may very well have the best hand, and if we don't we have five outs to a likely winner and a backdoor flush draw. That's good good to pass up.

Check/Call: Does very little for us, except giving a free card to three people. I don't like this.

Check/Raise: Presuming the CO bets (likely), this faces the field with two cold. It won't get rid of all of them, but any who do increase our chances of our 8's holding up. If the CO 3-bets our raise I suggest calling and check/folding the turn.

Bet out: I doubt this will fold the passives, but it does force the CO to define his hand. If he raises, I'll again call but I'll think he can beat a pair and again c/f the turn UI. If he just calls then that suggests he smells trouble and I can fire away again on the turn.

Given that, I think I like a checkraise here as it does two things I want (improve the odds of my eights holding up and lets me know if the CO truly has a monster). If I check and it's 2 back to me it'llthough I'm probably done with the hand, as I'd give credit to the bettor for a queen and I don't think I have odds to call two, and I don't like being caught in the middle of a betting war.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:13 AM

I was gonna say right here: "dude, seriously change your avatar, its freaking me out"

but then I remembered I have firefox, and now I can't see it [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-15-2005, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was gonna say right here: "dude, seriously change your avatar, its freaking me out"

but then I remembered I have firefox, and now I can't see it [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 07-15-2005, 12:18 AM

touche
Old 07-15-2005, 12:21 AM

Id check, planning on calling one bet. Check/folding the turn if i dont hit an A/8 or a club on the turn.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:24 AM

Can I play? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] <font color="white">All-in baby! </font>