Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2005, 07:54 AM

Default Was I too aggressive?

No read on any player.

PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, Hero calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (8 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, CO calls, SB calls.

Turn: (8.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, SB calls $2 (All-In).

River: (11.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

Final Pot: 13.50 BB

Is leading out and then reraising the flop right? Would a checkraise be better to see how they respond.

Then I guess the turn is right because it is still possible he has something like A10 or JJ.

I probably shouldnt have bet the river as QJ was a likely hand, but I figured I would bet and fold if I was raised. Comments on this?

Anyone care to guess what the result was?
Old 12-21-2005, 11:23 AM

Default Re: Was I too aggressive?

I wouldn't have 3-bet the flop.

Without a read, I think I would have called down at this point, because he might just be going for a steal. Of course, this could be weak...
Old 12-21-2005, 12:25 PM

everything looks good.

pf- i might even sometimes 3 bet pf as the isolation raise. try to get heads up with CO. it depends on the player raising...
Old 12-21-2005, 12:29 PM

My default play would be to check-raise the flop and probably call down if I got three-bet. (If he's jamming AK and gets a free card, big deal, I've got him reverse dominated anyway and made him pay 1.5 BB to see the river; if he's got JJ or something I don't want to cap the flop or something like that as I'm fine with him continuing to bet his hand).

Given that you bet-three-bet and got no further aggressive action, you definitely should just continue to bet for value. If you get shown AQ or whatever, don't worry.

So you basically played this fine, though I would consider check-raising the flop. The main reason is that bet-three-betting forces you to put in a ton of bets against a better hand if you get capped and this hand is going to be pretty hard to lay down. (If, for example, you three-bet, get called, bet the turn, and get raised, what are you doing? Can you find a fold there?) Check-raising assures good value while not opening yourself up to getting owned by AQ or an overpair.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:39 PM

I agree with W. in that a c/r is probably the best play on this flop mainly because it better allows you to control the amount of bets that go in. That being said I don't mind the way you played the flop and I think because you bet, 3-betting is almost mandatory. Obviously the turn is standard here and while the J on the river is one of the uglier cards in the deck I don't see anything you can do, but bet again.