Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2005, 06:08 PM

Default Re: Is this for real?

[ QUOTE ]

Also Ivey has stated that he believes that he needs to play higher stakes to take his game to the next level.

[/ QUOTE ]

That makes absolutely no sense. Take it to what level? There are NO PLAYERS at that level.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:36 PM

Default Re: Greenstein

Barry Greenstein has the 10 million (whether or not he would like to risk it). However, I bet you he would have to slightly break his all tournament winnings go to charity rule.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Barry Greenstein has the 10 million (whether or not he would like to risk it). However, I bet you he would have to slightly break his all tournament winnings go to charity rule.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure where your insight into his net worth comes from, but I think it's safe to say that there is no physical way to get 6 poker players to put up 10M, regardless of their net worth.

I could, however, see the 5 richest Arabian princes coming together to face off against Phil Ivey, who probably could raise a 10M stake. That would be a great show.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:32 AM

What about rebuys?

Seriously, though, I can't see Phil Ivey playing in this unless it a has really, really slow structure.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Barry said in the commentary of the pokerstars online world series that if he runs bad for a week in the big game he's usually broke (he later clarified that he meant "cash broke" and would have to liquidate some things). Something tells me he's not losing 10 million by running bad for a week, so I highly doubt he has that kind of a roll.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:08 PM

"60 million dollar winner take all tournament? They might as well say they're giving away the state of Louisiana"---Todd Brunson on Carplayer.com video interview.

Damn that made me laugh.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What about rebuys?

Seriously, though, I can't see Phil Ivey playing in this unless it a has really, really slow structure.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.cardplayer.com/poker_news/det...291efb7645faa01
Old 12-14-2005, 06:12 PM

There will be so many staking arrangements and side deals necessary for these guys to get into this at these stakes that what we see on the surface - a poker game - is going to be more like a derivative market behind the scenes. The range of outcomes for the participants will be far removed from the winner take all scenario advertised.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"60 million dollar winner take all tournament? They might as well say they're giving away the state of Louisiana"---Todd Brunson on Carplayer.com video interview.

Damn that made me laugh.

[/ QUOTE ]

Link?
Old 12-14-2005, 06:36 PM

THe more that I read about this thing, the more unrealistic this whole thing actually sounds.

Is it possible that they did this to drum up name recognition for this soon-to-be-launched pokersite?