Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2005, 07:14 AM

Default Christine Todd Whitman\'s Book Takes on Conservative Republicans

Former Republican Governor of New Jersy Christine Todd Whitman is publishing a book on 1/27. According to the Drudge Report, the book, titled It's My Party, Too: Taking Back the Republican Party and Bringing the Country Together Again, will criticize President Bush and Karl Rove's decision to focus on a conservative agenda and win re-election by motivating the conservative base.

Whitman is a strong moderate voice in the Republican Party. It'll be interesting to see if this gets the ball rolling for an internal debate within the Republican Party on what direction the Party goes in. While Bush is in power, it'll be hard to change the party. But, there are many in the Republican Party who are looking ahead to 2008 since Dick Cheney has said he won't run for President and there is no natural successor to Bush.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:34 AM

Default Re: Christine Todd Whitman\'s Book Takes on Conservative Republicans

As a Republican I can say unequivocally Whitman just isnt on the radar of most of the GOP. I havent heard her name come up in mettings or even casual conversations for 2+ yrs. I believe the GOP will eventually come back to the middle but thats a given from how right they appear to be now. Seems like an odd time to bash the right wing conservatives of the party since it was them (im not an evangelist or ant-abortion) who delivered such a strong showing in the past election..talk about biting the hand that feeds you.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:10 PM

Certainly the {social conservatives | Christian ayatollahs | moral majority | holy rollers} have a lot of influence in the Republican party and bring it a lot of votes. However, I think there are at least as many people like me who don't really like the Democrats' big government, welfare-state agenda but are completely alienated by that faction and end up holding our noses an voting for Democrats because we don't want to see the country turned into a fundamentalist Christion theocracy.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
end up holding our noses an voting for Democrats because we don't want to see the country turned into a fundamentalist Christion theocracy.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would seem to be an irrational fear.

"Congress shall make no law respecting the establishment of religion, nor prohibiting the free exercise thereof."
Old 01-03-2005, 09:39 PM

More irrational than worrying about a sleeper foreign agent becoming president if we allow foreign-born citizens to run?

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Just my way of wishing you a Happy New Year.

Regards,
Andy
Old 01-03-2005, 11:43 PM

are completely alienated by that faction and end up holding our noses an voting for Democrats because we don't want to see the country turned into a fundamentalist Christion theocracy.

If it aint broke... --And it isnt apparently common thought(perhaps liuberal thought) was with a turnout of this magnitude Democrats would almost always get a win...didnt happen. Seems more and more people are holding their noses at the conservatism and voting GOP. Results speak volumes.

Either way Im wondering which prominent GOP leader has proposed a "theocracy" or anything close to it. This kind of hyperbole is not only insulting to social right wingers (I do not count myself as one) but just not accurate.

RMEMEBER THE AYATOLLAHS DIDNT WANT THE 10 COMMANDMANTS IN THE COURTS IN IRAN THEY REALLY WANTED AN KORANIC BASED SOCIETY.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:49 PM

Yes, more irrational and more hyperbolic as well. That statement would fit well on adios' list of top 40 had it emanated from a well-known source.

Haapy New Year to you too Andy!
Old 01-03-2005, 11:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Either way Im wondering which prominent GOP leader has proposed a "theocracy" or anything close to it. This kind of hyperbole is not only insulting to social right wingers (I do not count myself as one) but just not accurate.

[/ QUOTE ]

That type of hyperbole is an affront to all thinking persons.
Old 01-04-2005, 12:27 AM

"Congress shall make no law respecting the establishment of religion, nor prohibiting the free exercise thereof."

Tell that to the current administration.
Old 01-04-2005, 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Tell that to the current administration.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your fear is all hooey and misplaced. In addition, you are not taking the right and proper attitude about all this. When or if the Bush admistration makes you go to Church or Bible Class etc., the solution to this perceived problem is very simple and elegant.

Go drunk.

Now stop your fretting and go read a good book.

-Zeno