Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2005, 02:46 PM

Default Re: Is this dreadful? 44 on Party 3/6

For what it is worth as well you played this very inconsitently throughout. If you are going to 3 bet pre-flop with a small pair then you have to be representing something bigger. Passively calling it down here after 3 betting does not seem to gain you much rather than being able to pick off unimproved high card bluffing. Given the pre-flop cap I think you need to raise the flop and basically say "I don't care what you have I have the best hand". If he still fires back after you have shown such strength then you can fold gracefully before you end up paying the full show-down calling price.

I don't even think I would even 3 bet a 25%+ pre-flop raisor with 44 though, a little too much of a high maintenance hand for my liking. Even a crappy hand like 87 off has decent chances against you and you could be miles behind to a better PP.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:54 PM

You say that about 44, but a lot of players will raise 66 in that spot in a heartbeat, even though connectors like 87 still has solid equity against you.

It has to be based on reads. 3-betting gives you the advantage of making players make bad folds against you (i.e. not peeling with QTs or calling down with 77 on an A high flop). If he sucks postflop and folds too much, it could be worth it. If you just thought "he's probably stealing, raise!!" then it's a bad move.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You say that about 44, but a lot of players will raise 66 in that spot in a heartbeat, even though connectors like 87 still has solid equity against you.

It has to be based on reads. 3-betting gives you the advantage of making players make bad folds against you (i.e. not peeling with QTs or calling down with 77 on an A high flop). If he sucks postflop and folds too much, it could be worth it. If you just thought "he's probably stealing, raise!!" then it's a bad move.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that there is a place for re-raising mid-low pairs but if I am doing this then I want control of the hand and want to take that control on the flop. If I cannot get it then I would rather fold then see an expensive showdown where I am probably staring at a decent made hand.