Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2005, 03:31 PM

Default Re: My first complaint about Harrington on Hold \'em.

I don't spread my books very widely when they are new. As they get more broken in, they will spread more naturally without stretching. =TomBk
Old 03-24-2005, 02:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think 2+2 should really look into finding a solution to this problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

I second this. I own around a dozen 2+2 titles, and have always been impressed with the
quality of the binding, until SSH and HOH. While my copies have yet to fall apart, my copy of SSH has broken at the spine.

Disappointing, considering the quality of earlier 2+2 printings and the cost of the books.

Hackle
Old 03-24-2005, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The book is starting to fall apart. I've literally read and re-read some pages so many times that they're starting to come loose from the binding.

This isn't really a complaint. It's a pleasure to find a poker book that has the depth of information that justifies this kind of study, but it would have been nice if they'd spent a little more money on the binding. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Take all of your 2+2 books to Kinkos and get them spiral bound for about 2 bucks a book. That way you can lay them flat or fold them over and hold them in one hand. They stay together nicely and make it much easier to read.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:02 PM

I read a post by either Malmuth or Sklansky (in the thread where people were commenting on their books smelling like hash!) saying that twoplustwo use some special glue in the bindings of their books to make them extra strong.
Old 03-24-2005, 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
books smelling like hash

[/ QUOTE ]They probably used paper made from hemp.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:24 AM

My book fell apart as well. I contacted the publisher and they sent me a new one for free.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:32 PM

think i wrote this on another thread [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] but as well as kinko's, you can buy a $1.99 sheet of laminate plastic with glue backing at an arts/crafts store and put your pre-school skills to work. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-02-2005, 06:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The book is starting to fall apart. I've literally read and re-read some pages so many times that they're starting to come loose from the binding.

This isn't really a complaint. It's a pleasure to find a poker book that has the depth of information that justifies this kind of study, but it would have been nice if they'd spent a little more money on the binding. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

The glue isn't really a glue. It's actually a paste made from an instantly addictive designer drug that Sklansky and Mason are using to addict poker players to their books and turn them into mindless forum zombies.
Old 04-02-2005, 06:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I understand that a lot of people like to lay a book flat on the table or spread the spine. I'm just one of those types who would rather risk blindness than crack the spine of a book...).

As I have said in an earlier post, I think it is less the quality of the binding on two-plus-two books that causes this problem, but the higher quality, heavier paper used that is superior to many paperbacks, but puts more stress on the binding.

The printing costs may be prohibitive, but maybe Mason and David could offer hardcover and/or spiral bound copies for people who have this problem.

But I, for one, don't want them switching to cheaper paper.

Frank

[/ QUOTE ]

I happily pay a price premium for books I know I am going to read many times or use as reference books. Good poker books very easily fall into that category.

In fact, for books I intend to use a lot, their being paperback is a strong disincentive for me to buy them, because I know they'll be quickly falling to pieces.

Ah, quality hardbacks ... well, I a fella can dream, can't he?
Old 04-02-2005, 06:34 AM

That's why I don't lend out books anymore. People think you're supposed to be able to smash paperbacks flat and still not have the pages fall out.