Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2005, 12:08 PM

Default Re: Gambler\'s anonymous

[ QUOTE ]
Dear Green Gambler,

Asside from the posts by "threonefour", "dustybottoms", "nut4dawgs", and "thehotspur", the posters in this thread are full of shiit. Total ignorant idiots would be a simple definition.

[/ QUOTE ]

bite me?
Old 11-28-2005, 04:34 AM

"Is it sinful to gamble, or merely to lose? I'll come back when I'm broke."--Sky Masterson, played by Marlon Brando, Guys and Dolls

I'm a fulltime poker player.

I never went to any meetings, but I've read GA literature, and it is 100% responsible for curing me of my psychological need to blow money at -EV games.

Ironically, I purchased this literature at The Gamblers Book Store in Vegas (11th and Charleston).

I think anyone who compulsively loses their money could benefit from their help. By "compulsively", I mean, you're just not happy until you've lost it all. You can't sleep after a win, but sleep like a baby after losing it all.

That's the way I was. A $2 booklet put out by GA explained to me what was going on in my subconscious to drive that need to blow my money gambling, and once I understood it, that self-destructive drive went away.

Shoot me a PM sometime, if you need anything, or to let me know how you do.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Dear Green Gambler,

Asside from the posts by "threonefour", "dustybottoms", "nut4dawgs", and "thehotspur", the posters in this thread are full of shiit. Total ignorant idiots would be a simple definition.

[/ QUOTE ]

bite me?

[/ QUOTE ]

hey now, i like this guy... even if he does need to work on his spelling [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 11-28-2005, 07:06 PM

Is GA opposed to health/auto/property insurance? How about extended warranties? These are all -EV bets if you only consider the gamble, which is what it sounds like.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

now, the nature of support groups is that a little bit is too much for addicts. for alcoholics and druggies, the group will not tolerate any use. in their eyes, it is impossible for one to have a beer at dinner.

[/ QUOTE ]

A full-blown alcoholic should not have a beer a dinner if s/he is serious about sobriety.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is true but aa would consider most ppl alcoholics, especially college students.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
also he says; the group will not tolerate any use.

[/ QUOTE ]

perhaps you should work on your reading comprehension bc this is refering to alcoholics anonymous. and i am 100% certain it is true.

still, i will maintain that if you show up at ga they will not tolerate your poker playing. these sort of support groups have circular reasoning. since you are showing up at ga you are a gambling addict. therefore you cannot engage in gambling. if you dont agree you are in denial. after all, you are at ga.

at least this is how aa is.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
also he says; the group will not tolerate any use.

[/ QUOTE ]

perhaps you should work on your reading comprehension bc this is refering to alcoholics anonymous. and i am 100% certain it is true.

still, i will maintain that if you show up at ga they will not tolerate your poker playing. these sort of support groups have circular reasoning. since you are showing up at ga you are a gambling addict. therefore you cannot engage in gambling. if you dont agree you are in denial. after all, you are at ga.

at least this is how aa is.

[/ QUOTE ]
The aa idea is that if you can drink socially, good for you. If it's not causing you problems, then do what you want to.

But if alcohol is causing you problems, and you want to stop drinking, there is a way. That is the program of aa.

now subsistitute gambling for drinking.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The aa idea is that if you can drink socially, good for you. If it's not causing you problems, then do what you want to.

But if alcohol is causing you problems, and you want to stop drinking, there is a way. That is the program of aa.

now subsistitute gambling for drinking.

[/ QUOTE ]

These are words of a person who knows of what he writes.

12-step programs and support groups are for those who have admitted
to themselves they have a problem. They look for help.

I've been reading this thread and don't remember noticing anyone
posting a link to GA. Rather than speculate, investigate.

<ul type="square"> Gamblers Anonymous FAQ[/list]
Addictive behaviour is just that. Behaviour that's addictive. Folks
get addicted to alcohol, gambling and even sex. Their addictions and
their actions resulting from their addiction cause them and those in
their lives, problems. It's a serious condition.

So, if you have, or even think you may have, a problem, take care of
yourself. Look for help. It's very +EV.

To those who've found time to make jokes, STFU.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is GA opposed to health/auto/property insurance?

[/ QUOTE ]

If I couldn't pay my rent or feed my children because I blew all my money on needless insurance, somebody would care, and offer to help.

Please, everyone, don't ask me GA's opinion of anything. These 12-step programs use the word "God" in about half the steps, which I can't get in step with. I had very simple psychological issues driving my compulsion, which were solved by reading a booklet. That's the entire extent of my relationship with GA.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:38 PM

It was really more of a rhetorical question. I seriously doubt GA considers insurance gambling, though it is.