Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2005, 05:00 PM

Default top two pair on drawy board

Villian was 26/8 over 100 hands. I had not seen him getting out of line, but there were many draws on the board. The small flop c/raise confused me -- I didn't know if this was a draw, AQ, or a set. So I decided to see the turn before committing a lot of chips.

On the turn, I decided that I didn't want to play a guessing game on the river, so I just stuck it all in. Anyone take a different line on the flop or turn?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter

SB ($1032.05)
BB ($284.80)
UTG ($236.20)
Hero ($831.05)
CO ($411)
Button ($591)

Preflop: Hero is MP with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $3.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $18</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB (poster) calls $15, BB calls $12.

Flop: ($54) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $30</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $65</font>, BB calls $65, Hero calls $35.

Turn: ($249) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $225</font>, BB folds, Hero bets $748.05 (All-In)... results later.

Edit: also, I should have bet at least $45 on the flop.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:26 PM

Default Re: top two pair on drawy board

You really need to pot this flop. The board is extremely draw heavy and you can't let them see it for cheap.

Given how it was played, I am 3-betting the flop, especially with BB hanging around. There are so many cards you don't want to see, I'm not waiting for a safe turn. I repot it when it gets back to me on the flop. If someone has a set, so be it.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:38 PM

Yeah man I don't see a reason for not 3-betting this flop. Flopping top two with no possible straight or flush (yet!) I am basically going with the mentality that I don't mind going broke against a set. So, focusing on the other hands in his hand range I very much like a 3-bet

You hit an awesome turn card, so I push the turn
Old 12-29-2005, 11:40 PM

Thanks guys for the comments. I definitely should have played this one faster. When I played the hand I didn't even consider that BB could be drawing live and needed to be charged more on the flop.

Results: the SB called my turn raise and showed a set of 7s. The river blanked. But I'm no longer wondering if I could have gotten away from the hand. Thanks again.