Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2005, 02:45 PM

Default Trouble with 2 pair

3rd hand at the table, no reads, board is pretty much all you need at this point. Please advise.

Party Poker 0.50/1.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(5 handed)</font>

Preflop: Hero is Button with 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, CO calls, Hero calls, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG calls, CO calls, Hero calls, SB calls.

Flop: (10.00 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls, BB folds, UTG calls, CO calls.

Turn: (14.00 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>,

Hero????
Old 12-16-2005, 02:53 PM

Default Re: Trouble with 2 pair

This is close, but I think it's a fold. If your four outs are good you're getting 9-1 to call a 10.5-1 shot, with implied odds you can probably make up two bets on the river, but I don't think you can give yourself four full outs here, as there's a slim possibility that someone holds 66 or 77, cutting down on the cards you can catch, or that someone has 88 which would have you drawing dead.

The action preflop seems a little messed up. How many limpers/raisers were there the first time you acted preflop?
Old 12-16-2005, 03:18 PM

sorry, pre-flop is fixed
Old 12-16-2005, 03:27 PM

I honestly think the limp is kind of marginal with only two limpers, but you do have the button.

To correct my earlier post, you're also drawing dead against 77. I'm still folding, I'm interested if the math guys have anything to say.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:34 PM

I'm outa there.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:05 PM

If CO has a set, which I don't think is an unreasonable assumption given his action, the only one that gives you 4 clean outs is 55. If he's got 77, you are drawing dead, as a 6 only gives you a smaller FH. If he's got 66, that only leaves the two remaining sevens for you to beat him.

I pack this one in...

You just picked a very bad flop to get two pair with, that's all. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

One more thing - on shorthanded tables like that, I tend to devalue drawing hands like 67s, because there are simply fewer people to extract money from when you hit. Personally, I fold this one pre-flop.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:05 PM

yeah it is tough to see CO cold calling with T9 and his check/3-bet sure looks like a set. i think i will fold.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:40 PM

1. I think a fold preflop is best. I play this against 3 loose/passive limpers, but won't typically call behind only two.

2. This might be one of those cases where waiting until the turn to raise is the best play. Maybe not, because you still have a 4 out redraw if a bad card hits the turn. I think the cap is still bloating the pot with a somewhat vulnerable hand, especially behind a LRRer.

3. I would be folding this turn. You are most likely beat, there are still a lot of cards you need to dodge on the river if you're ahead, and the raise kills your drawing odds, especially if the SB will 3-bet you.

EDIT: Didn't realize it was shorthanded.