Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Two Plus Two > Two Plus Two Internet Magazine
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 03:37 PM

Default On the Edge - IX: Define \'Post\'?

Here are a couple of pharagraphs drawn from Toth's "Internet Magazine" Nov. article. Notice he's used either the words "posted" or "post" 4 times. I searched in vain thru my 2+2 books for a definition, finding only a couple of usages of them in Schoonmaker's "Psychology of Poker" book, and these didn't present a definition, either.

[ QUOTE ]
"Tony took a cigarette break on his big blind a few hours later, as he had done every second orbit to my aggrevation; it limited the opportunities I had to steal the blinds, since he always raised his post if it was folded to him. He came back and posted. It was folded to him, and he checked. If he hadn't posted, I would've gone for a blind steal as I had yet to be picked off. However, given the money in the pot, it was unlikely I could get him to fold pre-flop.

I knew his hand was terrible as he'd raised every time he'd posted, and it was folded to him. He'd shown down hands ranging from one-gappers (six-four offsuit), to suited cards (nine-deuce suited), to Broadway-rag (jack-trey offsuit), to pocket pairs (aces). Between my position, my image, this information, and the blinds being tight and willing to fold, I determined this a good opportunity to raise regardless of my holding."

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd appreciate it very much if someone would define "post" or "posted" for me! Since I limit my play to NL HE, and his is a limit poker example, and because I'm an intermediate poker player at best, I suspect this is a silly question, but after all this is the place to "post" such a thing!

Dave
Old 11-28-2005, 03:54 PM

Default Re: On the Edge - IX: Define \'Post\'?

if you get up from the table and miss the blinds, you have to put in (post) the big blind when returning.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:57 PM

Appreciate it (very much!)!!! It seems to be a strange word for describing this thing, since the word is used for so many other betting eventualities, but who am I to say?

Thanks!

Dave
Old 11-28-2005, 05:13 PM

Glad it's sorted out for you. It just goes to show that whenever any of us write something we should never take any jargon as necessarily understandable to all of the audience. Sorry you (and whomever else, as there are invariably others that thought likewise and didn't ask) had any confusion.

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com
Old 11-29-2005, 02:54 AM

More generally the verb "post" applies to any blind payment. For example the following is quoted from the dealer narration from a major online poker room.

[ QUOTE ]
<name omitted> posted small blind ($5)
<name omitted> posted big blind ($10)

[/ QUOTE ]
When you enter or reenter a game you typically have a choice. You can sit out some hands until the BB rotates around to you and then post. Or you can post an extra BB immediately and not miss any hands. That is what cigarette guy was doing in the article. Usually posting on the button is not permitted, so the extra blind will be in the cutoff or later.

It can be a real problem if someone is constantly posting extra blinds on your immediate left because you don't get to be cutoff very often. You have the button on hand N, then on N+1 the button skips over the returning player who posts and you are two off the button. You lose a little money every time this happens. Usually this stuff evens out but if you are constantly getting stuck it hurts.