Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2005, 04:34 PM

Default Recommend Poker/Gambling Psychology Books and say Why...

Recommend poker/gambling psychology books and say why you think they are +EV.

Thanks
Old 05-07-2005, 05:25 PM

Default Re: Recommend Poker/Gambling Psychology Books and say Why...

Hunt down everything Alan Schoonmaker has written

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com
Old 05-07-2005, 05:43 PM

i'm glad you want to make some commision from amazon, but i'd probably by through conjelco or a local bookstore. Anways, want to point out specifc works and answer my question of why you think it is +EV?
Old 05-07-2005, 07:40 PM

That link isn't my link, I couldn't care less about the five cents on the book I can make.

If I wanted to make money from recommendations, I could link to every book, song, and movie that I talk about / recommend on BarronVangorToth.com, but I don't. Hence why you know my recommendations are never for my own financial interests, as I have none in this case, nor any piece of any action 2+2 and/or Dr. Al get from it.

Buy from wherever you want.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com
Old 05-08-2005, 02:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That link isn't my link, I couldn't care less about the five cents on the book I can make.

If I wanted to make money from recommendations, I could link to every book, song, and movie that I talk about / recommend on BarronVangorToth.com, but I don't. Hence why you know my recommendations are never for my own financial interests, as I have none in this case, nor any piece of any action 2+2 and/or Dr. Al get from it.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com

[/ QUOTE ]

okay fine, but what you don't understand is that i didn't think twice about your financial gain and was more upset you didn't answer my qeustion, which you still haven't. i didn't mean to make an issue out of it, but to seriously just move on, can you please tell me why you believe specific schoonmaker work is +EV.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com

[/ QUOTE ]

okay fine, but what you don't understand is that i didn't think twice about your financial gain and was more upset you didn't answer my qeustion, which you still haven't. i didn't mean to make an issue out of it, but to seriously just move on, can you please tell me why you believe specific schoonmaker work is +EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

By reading his book, you can figure out WHY you play poker the way you do, why others play poker the way THEY do, how to avoid deluding yourself as being the best poker player ever, and how to learn to think and play better. If you play with a certain style (and these styles relate to the your own motivations to playing this game), it will explain how to improve your style to get the most out of the game.

However, if you are not prepared to deal with your own personal issues about why you play and are not willing to improve your mental aspect to the game, then the book would waste your time.

I've read around here that Inside the Poker Mind is real good too. However, I don't have any personal experience with it.

So..there...you got the help you wanted. Don't be a jerk about it next time.

PB
Old 05-08-2005, 11:05 AM

Thanks for the contributions

[ QUOTE ]

So..there...you got the help you wanted. Don't be a jerk about it next time.

[/ QUOTE ]

can you please explain this to me, because i must not be very self-aware. i have been accused of this before, but i couldn't tell then and i can't tell now, how anything i've done is rude or jerk-like.
Old 05-08-2005, 03:51 PM

Jerk like comments:
[ QUOTE ]
i'm glad you want to make some commision from amazon, but i'd probably by through conjelco or a local bookstore. Anways, want to point out specifc works and answer my question of why you think it is +EV?

[/ QUOTE ]

Short Answer, Dr Al's book rocks.

Longer answer, Dr Al wote the Psychology of Poker and it is +EV for people that are willing to examine their own motivations and it will help you understand why people play poker.

The most commonly accepted answer on 2+2 is for money but actually most people do not play poker strictly for money. They have many reasons for playing and if you understand why they play, it will help you to be successful in playing against them.

short answer, Inside the Poker Mind by John Feeney rocks.

Longer answer, Inside the Poker mind is a series of essays that helps you understand how good poker players think about the game as they play and it also highlights many of the mistakes that many poker players make and helps you understand why they make the mistakes they do.

If you are a rookie, read Dr Al's book first but both are must reads.

How to poker books are anything by Sklansky, Malmuth, ed Miller or amy combination of the three.

You didn't say anything about your level of experience so I can't say which specific book is best.

PS. Be nicer it +EV also.
Old 05-08-2005, 05:01 PM

POP is a good but not great book. It is somewhat repetitive and once you've read one of the chapters on player type, you can pretty much guess the rest of the book. It would be, however, a helpful book if you are a self-delusional player who over-rates his skill and style.

ITPM is a first rate book. It must be read and re-read.

Edited to add: Having just now gone back and read the thread, and your admission that you are somewhat self-unaware, you may in fact benefit from POP. I did not benefit that much from it, as I read it after I had already achieved a demonstrated history of winning play, and I tend to be highly self-critical as a poker player.
Old 05-08-2005, 06:38 PM

POP is good
ITPM is better

The killer poker books are good in the psychology area.

Zen and the art of poker and the tao of poker are also worth reading.