Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2004, 05:13 PM

Default Calling a huge raise with AKo

Just sat down at a new game just starting at Ocean's Eleven. No limit, 5/5 blinds, everyone has bought in for the max $500 and only a round or two has passed so all stacks are pretty even. The table is obnoxiously tight and I am already looking around the room to see if there is another game I can move to.
UTG I am dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and raise to $25. It is folded to the button who makes it $100. I have no reads on anyone at the table as the game has just started and all the guys I have played with before are at another game. I call the $100. This is where my friend starts yelling at me afteward, about how that is a crappy call with AK. Anyway, the board is A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. He immidiately moves all in for his last 300ish and I call immidiately. Is this not the flop that I would most hope for? This results in a big argument in the parking lot with my same friend who is telling me that I should be worried about him having aces and should have folded to his preflop raise and such. I don't think I played it very aggressively, just how I thought it should have bee played.
Old 09-05-2004, 09:30 PM

Default Re: Calling a huge raise with AKo

I wouldn't call preflop, because I'm almost certain of aces or kings. But if I did call preflop -- I have some read -- and I have to call the push. Basically when I call preflop I am thinking "you don't have aces or kings; you are bluffing". If I believed he was bluffing preflop, the instant push is probably what I'm looking for as the follow up bluff. Unless something in the way he bet made me believe he really did have aces, I'm calling. I expect him to turn over QQ/JJ/AK/AQ, 3 of which I am ahead. Or maybe if I screwed up, KK. If he made this play with TT, so be it. It's rough, but if you're preflop call was based on logical reasoning, I cannot see how you aren't calling the push.
Old 09-05-2004, 10:07 PM

first off, I wouldn't have raised pre-flop UTG with AKo in an obnoxiously tight game with 100xBB....but having said that, when the button reraises, what do you put him on?....if you put him on aces or kings, you fold....if you put him on a pair less than kings, you either fold or reraise all-in....that's it.....you're out of position and getting $135 to $75 on your call (which is less than the 2 to 1 that you'll hit - and even if you do, you could either be in big trouble or get no action).....as for the flop, I do agree that that's as good a flop as you could probably ask for, what I don't understand is how the button "immediately moved all-in" when he acts after you.....did you check?...did you bet?......did he act out of turn?....either way, at that point you have to call...
Old 09-05-2004, 10:21 PM

preflop is questionable. once you see the flop, it's an easy call. very few players will just move in with a set of aces there, and that's the only hand you're worried about. my guess is he's got KK-JJ and is hoping the A is a scare card for you.

preflop, it's like any other big decisions. you have to decide if he's got aces or kings, or something lower. you also have to decide what you are going to do when you miss. if your answer is check-fold, then you made a very bad call for obvious reasons.

--turnipmonster
Old 09-05-2004, 11:16 PM

Thats what I figured, that if he had aces he wouldnt move all in on the flop and I have him beat with pretty much everything else. I called his all in, the rest of the hand was dealt and I showed my AK and he folded face down and got up and walked away.
Old 09-06-2004, 07:25 AM

I usually play 1/2 (or 2/3 as it just became) tables at Ocean's 11... is the 5/5 always that soft or was it just that one idi... man?

Kirk R.
Old 09-06-2004, 07:29 AM

BTW, my opinion on the hand.

Pre-flop: I wouldn't have raised with AKo from UTG, just called and called a raise (obviously).

Post-flop: Having called his raise and got the only flop you really wanted, it's an easy call. There's very few people that will move in with AA on this flop.

Kirk R.
Old 09-06-2004, 01:42 PM

They just raised the 5/5 game from a 100-300 buy in to a 200-500 buy-in. As you probably know, the level of play depends on who is there and such, the last couple of days the 5/5 has been pretty tight and not very profitable, the 2/3 is usually VERY soft. When are you going up there again?
Old 09-06-2004, 02:10 PM

Uhhh... in an hour and a half, I think [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Although I'm also extremely tempted to go to Commerce as I've never been there before and heard a lot about it.

Kirk R.
Old 09-06-2004, 02:56 PM

How are the ID checks at Oceans 11?

I'm 20, but I could pass for 17.