Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2005, 12:10 AM

Default big losses, discouraged

a bit about me : ive been playing poker for a year now, i really started doing well around january and then everything stopped in april. it seems i just cant win anymore. some of its due to tilt. out of frustration or stupidity maybe.. i went to a very high stake. in my mind i was thinking "now ill make up for the 3 month dry spell by playing a high stake". This backfired, i lost a lot. i dropped down to my usual limits an suffered alot of bad beats (2 outers, 1 outer, etc.) because of this bad streak, while i was playing i had an overall pessimistic attitude, almost expecting to lose the hand.. and i did. so i figured the best thing to do was take a break and not play for a while. i really want to come back to playing again, because i know im a winning player, i just dont know when the right time is. i dont want to come back an lose again. i dont know how to regain my confidence, maybe you can suggest a few things? i feel like if you feel like a loser then you will lose. tell me what you think.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:33 AM

Default Re: big losses, discouraged

Play low stakes. Set a time limit for your play. Make sure that you are appropriately bankrolled for the level you play at. Never drink alcohol. Pay yourself hourly based on how much you "work", and not according to how much you win.

Re-examine your game by posting hand histories on the forums, and reading the theory of poker, and then whichever book that specialized in the game you play. For suggestions, go to the book forum, or do a search.

Best regards,
Snowball
Old 07-27-2005, 08:06 AM

Don't feel bad, you just described most poker players on the planet. They get started, run good, move up and go bust. Happens everyday.

Due to the gambling nature of poker, it is possible to win big while playing poorly. It is also possible to lose big while playing perfectly.

You have to examine your game and discover which of the above is true in your case. Did you run good and your previous success is due to short term luck or do you play well and your current losses are due to short term luck?

The truth is probably somewhere in the middle but you won't know unless you take an honest look at your game.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:19 AM

When I get frustrated by a bad run, instead of taking a break, I play a different game.

Tough time at limit? I switch to NL.
or play some SNGs, or MTTs, or some low limit O8, S8, or TDL.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:14 PM

I'm on a difficult downswing at the moment. However, MUCH of it deals with some really poor habits that have seeped into my post-flop play.

I began my remediation with some of the books that I have to help me with the subject and that has started to help. I have also stopped multi-tabling (bad habits multiply that way) until I return to playing better.

Maybe that could help you too.

PB