Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2005, 12:27 PM

Default Re: A Question For Dr. Al (and anyone else who cares)

I don't personally know any of the psychology, but i know that if the room is totally silent i'll go nuts, and my mind will start to wander off of the task at hand. When i listen to music, yeah sometimes the music will get in my head, but it also keeps my mind from wandering around too much, letting me focus on the table that much better. Although i'm the type of person who needs music in order to do anything at all.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:17 PM

I cannot listen to music when multitabling limit because it tends to interfere with concentrating on those small edges. I do however find it a very helpful tool in "ramping" up my aggression factor in tournaments esp when it gets shorthanded or HU when typically weakness is attacked.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:45 PM

Your thinking process works best when you are in an environment that you are used to. People who have always listened to music while doing work that required concentration can concentrate best with music. People who are accustomed to silence need silence to concentrate.

I think this bears out what others in this thread have pointed out. We have seen a veriety of experiences about whether or not music helps and what style of music is best. Personally, I have always listened to music while doing homework, working, etc. I concentrate best if there's some music in the background and have problems focusing if things are completely quiet.

The style of music that works is also what you are used to. Some people claim that certain kinds of music like classical help you concentrate. If there is any validity to that I believe it has less of an effect than the music you are accustomed to.

I remember a study once about the effect listening to different style of music would have on drivers. What they found was that there was no style of music that had a uniform effect. Each individual performed best listening to the music he liked best. I think the same principal applies to poker and other tasks that require extended periods of concentration.

Incidentally, this same principle applies to other aspects of the environment and even in your body. Caffeine has been found to affect people's ability to concentrate, but people who typically use lots of caffeine perform worse if it is suddenly removed.

Of course, I don't have any kind of degree to back up what I say. This is just my opinion based on some lay knowledge of the subject. I encourage anybody with real experience to correct me.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:11 PM

Hiya -

There has been some research about the effectiveness of music during activities that need high amounts of concentration. Eric Jensen is the researcher that has done some work in this area. Learning Smarter is a book that deals primarily with educators, but there MAY be some stuff online that references his work.

Mileages vary, but the theory goes that instrumental music helps with the activities that need total cognitive attention. Some people do not necessarily need that however. The students I work with have stated that reading with instrumental music helps them focus on reading.

Anyway...there is my two cents on it. I play ambient music in the backround while writing, playing poker, and sometimes while reading. I haven't taken headphones to the B & M though...don't want to be one of THOSE guys. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

PB
Old 07-27-2005, 07:20 PM

Hi...I care! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

While some theories, like the Mozart Effect on babies, have been
successfully disproven both in theory and practice, there is
substantial evidence that some music, notably some Vivaldi
pieces, stimulate Alpha wave patterns in the brain.

These patterns have been shown to facilitate cognitive and
recollection skills; studies have shown greater retention and
application from students who study under these conditions.

That said, If you can't keep from singing with Kelly Clarkson
while it is playing, you are not focusing and this is a huge
distraction. Listening to instrumental music may be better,
but I find I listen to music more deeply than others may, so
for me it is a distraction.

When I compose a poker-background CD I'll let you know [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

All the best

-ZEN
Old 07-27-2005, 08:58 PM

I would love a copy if you compose one! Please do let us know!
Old 07-27-2005, 09:28 PM

My win rate doubles when I'm listening to Rammstein
Old 07-27-2005, 10:40 PM

Sorry, but I can't comment intelligently. I know very little about brain functioning.

Regards,

Al
Old 07-27-2005, 11:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, but I can't comment intelligently. I know very little about brain functioning.

Regards,

Al

[/ QUOTE ]

That rarely stops others from posting...
Old 07-28-2005, 10:43 AM

I listen to blues or classic rock. But I like blues and classic rock. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]