Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2005, 06:25 AM

Default Finding out you\'re a break even player

Anyone out there like me who deep down believed himself to be a winning player at low-limit tourneys, sitngos and live low limit cash games find out that after 5 months of trying pretty damn hard to find out you just play well enough to keep your money?

Did you feel kind of depressed, or did u find relief that you don't lose any money?

As for me, I really am obsessed about poker. I think about it all day, I dream of it at night, I relive my worst beats and think about all the what if's that a few coin flips in a MTT would of become had I won those. Do I have a problem? I'm really getting to the point where I'm a little scared that my whole life is all about a card game that if I didn't play wouldn't matter because I neither win nor lose at it.

Anyways, what I'm getting at is for someone like me, believing that I was a winning player was a big part of my whole sense of self ever since I set aside a separate bank roll to play only poker, and after 5 months I haven't moved up or down even though I study, think about and play massive amounts of poker.
Old 07-15-2005, 07:19 AM

Default Re: Finding out you\'re a break even player

I'm a losing player at MTTs, theys just not my game at all, find your game and work on it, don't feel bad about breaking even either most people lose money at poker.

Regards Mack
Old 07-15-2005, 08:24 AM

As long as the stakes aren't significant for you and you aren't neglecting other areas of your life, then breaking even at poker or even losing a little bit isn't necessarily a problem. I think you're a victim of the macho poker culture where your personal self worth is counted in BB/100.

I have a secret for you. You are worth more than your the money you win. If you enjoy the game, great. If you don't, quit.
Old 07-15-2005, 08:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you're a victim of the macho poker culture where your personal self worth is counted in BB/100.

[/ QUOTE ]

Especially on here, 9/10 people are lifetime losers at poker, its nothing to be ashamed of breaking even. Also agree enjoying the game is a big step towards becoming a winner.

Mack
Old 07-15-2005, 10:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think about it all day, I dream of it at night, I relive my worst beats and think about all the what if's that a few coin flips in a MTT would of become had I won those.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have found "if only" thinking to be self defeating and a waste of time. Perhaps you expend to much mental energy thinking about your beats where you would be much better served using that time to think about how you can improve. When you spend time thinking about the game, that's what you should be thinking about.

-J-house
Old 07-15-2005, 12:06 PM

How about bagging the tourneys and just focusing on the limit games? The luck factor is just so irritating that I don't even play them for fun anymore (as if spending 4 hours in an MTT only to go out on the bubble or win some paltry amount is fun). Even when I have got deep into the money it did not compensate for my time and previous entry fees.

Give some SnG's a shot if you really love the no limit thing. Otherwise, if you stick with limit ring games, get a rakeback deal and do a lil' bonus whoring I'll bet that you will be much happier with your results in the next five months.

It took me 3 1/2 years to get my act together. Make a plan and stick with it. I doubt that you have a problem- just a passion.

Now, go get 'em, sport! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 07-15-2005, 03:23 PM

If you like the game and it does not affect your life negatively then keep playing. Maybe cut back a little of your play time and do other positive ativities.
If youre playing to win money then maybe you can cut back time playing and try something else to make money. Ex. a part time job.
Old 07-16-2005, 07:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How about bagging the tourneys and just focusing on the limit games? The luck factor is just so irritating that I don't even play them for fun anymore (as if spending 4 hours in an MTT only to go out on the bubble or win some paltry amount is fun). Even when I have got deep into the money it did not compensate for my time and previous entry fees.

Give some SnG's a shot if you really love the no limit thing. Otherwise, if you stick with limit ring games, get a rakeback deal and do a lil' bonus whoring I'll bet that you will be much happier with your results in the next five months.

It took me 3 1/2 years to get my act together. Make a plan and stick with it. I doubt that you have a problem- just a passion.

Now, go get 'em, sport! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, to be honest if it werent for the huge scores I've made in a couple of MTT's, I wouldn't be break even right now as I seem to lose a huge amount in limit games, the small stakes variety. I think its mainly cuz I'm very loose and aggressive and just seem to do much better in a tournament setting.
Old 07-16-2005, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone out there like me who deep down believed himself to be a winning player at low-limit tourneys, sitngos and live low limit cash games find out that after 5 months of trying pretty damn hard to find out you just play well enough to keep your money?

Did you feel kind of depressed, or did u find relief that you don't lose any money?

As for me, I really am obsessed about poker. I think about it all day, I dream of it at night, I relive my worst beats and think about all the what if's that a few coin flips in a MTT would of become had I won those. Do I have a problem? I'm really getting to the point where I'm a little scared that my whole life is all about a card game that if I didn't play wouldn't matter because I neither win nor lose at it.

Anyways, what I'm getting at is for someone like me, believing that I was a winning player was a big part of my whole sense of self ever since I set aside a separate bank roll to play only poker, and after 5 months I haven't moved up or down even though I study, think about and play massive amounts of poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Woulda...shoulda...coulda...if that, then this...all speak in terms of issues out of our control - especially if the decisions have been made or predicting what the future could be. Living in the past is not helpful and no one can predict the future, in poker or in the stock market. If that were the case, I would be very wealthy... [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Poker is all about the long run. The theory goes that if you make decisions that will end up making you money each time you are faced with them, in the long run, you will be ahead. However, when making those same decisions in the short run (one day session, one week...), you MIGHT be behind or even. In the short run, you can make the best decisions possible and drop 50 - 100 BB, or make all kinds of mistakes and win the same amount. Five months does not determine expertise in anything, much less poker. I've been at my career for ten years and I am just BEGINNING to figure it out. Learning new things takes time - however in poker it can be pretty expensive.

Many around here would share with you not to be results oriented, in fact, some of them already have so I won't write more about that...

I would begin studying the game. I'm sure you have read some books about poker, like the Theory of Poker? The Psychology of Poker? or Inside the Poker Mind (still on my list...I swear, before the summer is over, I will have read it! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]) That might help in the obsession with this fun game.

I also would think about what OTHER things did you like doing before poker and begin doing them. I set aside time to play poker, and it does not interfere with my relationship with my wife, or my friends, or my job, or my other interests. A well rounded life helps, and I think having one would help your game as well.

I also would stop thinking about the future of what could be and stop thinking in the past about what could have been. You have no influence over that. All that you do have influence over is the decisions that YOU make at the table and at life. It sounds easy to do, but it is rather difficult, but something that can be done.

FWIW

PB
Old 07-16-2005, 10:14 PM

First off, it's a great thing that you recognized this and are dealing with it. I went through a phase very similar to what you've descrbed above, and it can be extremely discouraging. However, you mention only playing for 5 months? Give yourself some time if this is the case. Even if this isn't the case, it sounds like you are taking an intelligent approach towards the game (ie: thinking about hands, posting on here, ect.) more than you are focusing on the money aspect. You shouldn't, however, let your bankroll dictate how well you believe you play. Keep studying poker, try different approaches, basically take time to practice and perhaps fine-tune your game. Be patient.

Good luck!