Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2005, 04:27 PM

Default Re: Good or Bad for Poker if Matusow Wins??

What I think is really dump about this discussion, is the fact that people bad mouth Mike for doing Coke, and say he is bad for poker, blah blah blah...

But everyone praised Stu Ungar for being the best tournament poker player every. But it's well knowed the he was a HUGH Coke head.

Why is Mike so Hated and Stuy so lovewd?
[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 07-15-2005, 04:30 PM

some of you kids are extremely judgemental. if you were to say mike comes off as an obnoxious prick, fine. you probly have a case. but to suggest he's bad for poker because of his legal problems and not his personality is a little ridiculous. poker has always been filled with "colorful" people. if mike is bad for poker, why isn't/wasn't benny binion? mike scored some dope. benny killed people. i tend to distinguish the two for some reason.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How about you people actually get the facts straight before posting. Mike Matusow basically got set-up by an undercover NARC who became very close friends with Mike and asked him if he could get him some cocaine. Mike had a few connections and was able to obtain some and got busted for that. He wasn't selling drugs to little kids, he thought he was doing a favor for a friend and regrets that mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, give him a medal then.

I had no idea this lowlife was a drug dealer as well as whiny bitch. He's no good for poker period.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:40 PM

I really think Mike's character could work either way. Furthermore, how ESPN edits/presents the table talk will have a lot to do with it also. And I also think that Mike's paast will not be a big factor because this is a very forgiving country.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:43 PM

did he cry when he got arrested?

i hope so
Old 07-15-2005, 04:53 PM

Wow, there sure is a lot of paranoia in this thread. In terms of "how it will look for/impact poker", I don't care who wins, the US Senate (both those who would support or oppose poker) don't care who wins, and virtually nobody else will have their opinion of poker changed by who wins. Unless you think major sports are in trouble every time a star player has some sort of run in with the law, the idea that a WSOP winner with a shady past would hurt poker is ridiculous. After all, nobody trots out Stu Ungar as a reason poker should be banned - and if individual players were going to be used as scapegoats against poker, his story would have been beaten to death in an effort to stop poker by now.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:05 PM

Ummmmm,
Stu is dead and he isn't around anymore to prove anyone wrong. People generally sincerely feel the Ungar story is a tragedy, in that he was an addict who could not control himself.
Mike, OTOH, I believe (and could be wrong here) was arrested for selling a controlled substance. To the best of my knowledge, there is not an addiction problem there (someone please correct this if it's false). I get the impression that he is the kind of character who would do anything for a quick buck, even if it involves breaking the law and furthering a "friends" coke addiction. Sounds like a class A scumbag to me & I don't care about his playing skills in making that assertion.
X
Old 07-15-2005, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Unless you think major sports are in trouble every time a star player has some sort of run in with the law, the idea that a WSOP winner with a shady past would hurt poker is ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll give you 3 guesses why MLBaseball and the NFL were drug in front of Congress this year...

hint : think musclebound Giants slugger with HUGE head and on disabled list.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
um, if my friends ask me to score them some coke I'm going to give them a ride to the nearest rehab center. I'm NOT going to hook them up.

This has to be the MOST ridiculous defense I've ever seen.

Thanks for playing though,
ThisHo

[/ QUOTE ]
The undercover NARC was part of a task force that was assigned to bust a drug ring. They had been spending local and state funds for a very long period of time to try to get some leaks and ultimately failed. Why do you think Mike only got a few months as a pose to a maximum sentence of say four years? The case against Mike was very weak.

Don't come on here judging other people unless your Mother Theresa herself. You've never done marijuana, served alcohol to minors, engaged in some sort of illicit activity, etc.?

By the way your signature "Thanks for playing though" is super lame.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
um, if my friends ask me to score them some coke I'm going to give them a ride to the nearest rehab center. I'm NOT going to hook them up.

This has to be the MOST ridiculous defense I've ever seen.

Thanks for playing though,
ThisHo

[/ QUOTE ]
The undercover NARC was part of a task force that was assigned to bust a drug ring. They had been spending local and state funds for a very long period of time to try to get some leaks and ultimately failed. Why do you think Mike only got a few months as a pose to a maximum sentence of say four years? The case against Mike was very weak.

Don't come on here judging other people unless your Mother Theresa herself. You've never done marijuana, served alcohol to minors, engaged in some sort of illicit activity, etc.?

By the way your signature "Thanks for playing though" is super lame.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never done those things as you described above...

Do I get to judge?

(picking up the nearest virtual rock...)

Turn the flamethrower off, I don't plan to judge anyone. But I don't want Mike to win. His antics at the table do not humor me in the slightest. However, his antics cause debate, and if ESPN has anything to use to promote its show (better than what The Matador could have done in that ill-fated show Tilt), I'm sure they will use it to get everyone to watch.

Is that good for poker? Not sure...

PB