Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2003, 10:38 AM

Default how do you think i did?

ok, were playing a 20 dollar buy in NL game at my house. 7 people buy in. one aggressive player knocks out 3 players, who go all in with bad hands. i knock out another, and two more players cash out with a combined 30 dollars. so now its down to me heads up vs. the maniac. i'm short stacked-- i've only got around 25-30 bucks, while he has the remaining 80 something. to make a long story short, i eventually get most of his chips, and I finally have the advantage.

anyways, the hand in question:
-i've got T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] from the SB
-i call, and he raises a tiny amount, and i call again.
-flop comes 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
-he loves to bluff, so i check to him and he bets. i call.
-turn comes 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
-once again i check and he bets into me bigger and i call.
-river comes 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
-i check to him, he puts up another big bet, trying to finish his bluff, and i push it all in on him, forcing him all in. he calls.
-he turns over KQ[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], I turn over my boat and win the pot.

what do you think i should have done in this situation?
should i have tapped on the flop when the 2nd flush card came, trying to force flushes out before they hurt me? or did i do the right play by waiting to the river to raise?

any help is appreciated.. thanks.
Old 08-24-2003, 01:39 PM

Default Re: how do you think i did?

I rarely like playing to trap in NL, lots love it, but most do it when there are ways in which their trap can be beaten.

However, you're against a loose-aggressive player on a flop with no draws after he raised preflop, perfect place to play for a trap.

I think if you did raise the turn you could be called over paranoid to put him on that hand. Heads up, it's unlikely he's drawing to the flush.

Be careful on the river, sometimes bet out if you feel they have a calling hand since if they call after the pot is so large they'll be very short stacked. I think you read his preflop raise well and this time checking the river was right also, since if you bet out he'd fold anyhow.

Well played.
Old 08-24-2003, 03:00 PM

You played it fine. I just don't advise that in full fing game. But h2h, giving free cards is'nt as much dangerous. You gave him rope to hang himself.

-Happy [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 08-24-2003, 06:25 PM

Who the hell calls an all-in river check-raise with king high?

On a side note, I'd probably check-raise him on the turn with a ridiculous overbet or put him all-in. If he's on hearts he might call anyways with you getting even money as a big favorite.
Old 08-25-2003, 02:14 AM

i think this play was good against the type of loose-aggressive idiot you're facing here. against a typical player, you should either make a big play on the turn or bet out on the river, as a player with no hand would have to be some kind of idiot to not read you for a hand that will at least call a river bet. even if by some miracle you were on a draw, KQ probably has you beat, so there is no reason for him to bet.

then again, when you're facing a guy who will go all-in on king high on the river against an obvious slowplay, it's kind of hard not to get the money.

good play, just don't try it against a non-maniac.
Old 08-25-2003, 07:14 AM

When he bets the flop, you canīt put him on hearts, so Iīd say let him continue to bluff away his money.