Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2003, 08:00 PM

Default Favorite starting hands?

Aside from the obvious AA, what would you guys say is your favorite starting hand? I love the JTs, or "giant slayer," as i call it after an... interesting... poker session. to make a long story short, my JT(not always suited) cracked AA, KK, AK, and KQ in the same night. Needless to say against players of questionable abilities, this exceedingly profitable as that on many of the times i hit my hand, the opponent would turn over top two, trips, or some other strong looking hand. in my opinion, JTs is one of the most profitable hands, in that when you hit it you have either nut straight, or the 4th nut flush. even better is the fact that when you hit your hand, youll have fish calling (maybe even raising) with their Kings or Aces which they think are good.

what do you all like?
Old 08-04-2003, 09:18 PM

Default Re: Favorite starting hands?

AA, KK, QQ, JJ, AKs, AQs, AK
Old 08-04-2003, 09:51 PM

Well, nothing quite matches the joy of finding aces of course, but I rather enjoy the opportunities I get to play the suited 1-gappers. They make a slightly fewer straights, but many of those straights are just impossible for opponents to read. I know that I will believe an opponent representing a straight made by connecting cards, but often discount to near zero the possibility that someone holds a straight that involves any kind of gap.
Old 08-04-2003, 10:25 PM

After AA, my favorite is KK.

If your JTs and JTo really crushed that many big hands in one night, I suspect (though cannot confirm as much from the data) that you are playing JTo too much and coldcalling raises with JTs too often.

-Mike
Old 08-04-2003, 10:30 PM

Default Re: My favorite starting hand?

For superstitious reasons only, I have a sweet spot for AT... and it's only because very early in my hold'em career I hit the absolute nuts on the flop [A-T-A] with them against a fish who held TT! The turn was only 3 bets, having been raised twice after my bet, and I deceptively called. There were straights and flushes that called 3 capped rounds, too! Once the bricks were lain so that no straight-flush was possible, I took Mr. TT for 6 more big bets on the river heads up. Can you blame me for liking that Group 6 hand?
Old 08-04-2003, 10:44 PM

My favorite hand besides aces is 7/2 off. I've never lost more than my blinds with those two cards and once I flopped a fullhouse from the BB. Money ahead with 7/2! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-04-2003, 11:03 PM

Default Re: Too much JTs

under normal circumstances i would definantly have been playing JTs/o too much, but the game i was in was phenominally weak and passive. i could usually see the flop for 1 BB, or at least very cheap.
Old 08-04-2003, 11:05 PM

T6o, but only from the big blind. One night, I got it in my big blind three times in a row and flopped two pair twice and a boat once. Needless to say, this is tossed into the muck every time unless I get to see the flop for free.
Old 08-05-2003, 02:53 AM

used to be KQs, but lately giving me pains. Now my favorite is 77 (and other small pairs).

The hand I hate: AKo. Must have lost tons recently playing in loose games and hanging around for backdoors draws. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 08-05-2003, 08:54 AM

hand EV (10 handed Hold'em)

AA 2.34
KK 1.67
QQ 1.22
JJ 0.86
AKs 0.78
AQs 0.59
TT 0.57
AK 0.50