Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2004, 02:50 PM

Default Laying down the Big Blind special

$25pl on party, [4, 10] off in the big blind, 4 limpers including the small blind.

Flop comes [3, 4, 4] with the 3 and a 4 both diamonds.

Small blind bets out $1 into a $2 pot
I raise to $3 ($2 raise)

everyone folds to small blind who calls after sometime.

Turn is [7] not diamond, small blind bets the pot (about $8)

I fold.

Is this laydown too big? I figured He either had a set for a boat, [5,6] for the straight, trips, or a bluffing flush draw. I'm only beating half the trips kickers and the flush bluff, and I have a feeling we'll be going all-in on the river if I call this bet, so I wanted to get away while it was still cheap.

Did I waste a big blind special by playing too tightly, or do you think it's a good lay-down?
Old 01-13-2004, 03:15 PM

Default Re: Laying down the Big Blind special

I would have pushed allin on the flop.

WJ
Old 01-13-2004, 03:53 PM

Default Bizarre

WalleyeJason: you have top trips, and you want to go all-in and win a dinky pot? Why? Not only are the odds against them to hit the draw, but you'll also boat up many times they hit their draw. He's almost certainly way ahead here, so there's no reason to scare everyone except 33 out.

ScotBaio: You didn't give the stack sizes, and that's pretty important. The deeper you both are, the less likely you are to call. I'll suppose that both of you had the buyin of $25. If you call the turn bet of $8, you'll be pot-stuck and forced to call unless a A/5/6/8 of [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] comes on the river. So, just push on the turn. It's highly unlikely you are losing here.

Fistdantilus
Old 01-13-2004, 03:58 PM

Default Re: Bizarre

good point, the stacks also led to the lay-down

$25 max-buy in, I had $35 before the hand started, my opponent had $60.. I'd only played 1 rotation and hadn't seen him be too agresive, so I figured he earned his money the hard way.

Also, this is pot limit, not no limit... I raised max on the flop
Old 01-13-2004, 09:48 PM

Default Re: Laying down the Big Blind special

Contrary to what someone else said, I don't think it's all that unlikely that you're behind. You'll see all kinds of hands getting turned up by players in the blind, such as your own 4To.

That said, I think you need to raise the turn, not lay down the hand. You're ahead here enough to justify throwing your money into the pot. First of all, there's only one four left in the deck and he probably doesn't have it. Secondly, even if he does have it, your ten has a good chance of standing up. If he had 33 or 43, he'd probably try to lure you in with smaller bets so I wouldn't be too worried about that.

Old 01-14-2004, 12:15 PM

I agree on both points. There is certainly no reason to fold!

al
Old 01-14-2004, 02:38 PM

Top trips is one thing, but keep in mind that top trips are currently fours. Who isn't going to take an overpair in the pocket one card further to see about spiking a full for some cheap bets? Now granted, this is pot limit, so he did what he should have and bet the pot, but FFS man, a set of fours has so much potential to be drawn out on, you've GOT to protect it.

I'd bw shovin' the hell out some chips.