Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2005, 11:49 AM

Default Re: I finally hit 300BB (abs. no content)

[ QUOTE ]
that's why tournaments are great. everyone puts in $200 for a few lucky guys to take it all then dump it in cash games

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, this is why I think tournaments suck. When a guy gets lucky enough to win 100 big bets in a cash game, he'll be back trying to win more until he eventually loses it all and then some.

When a guy gets lucky enough to win 100 times the buy-in in some tournament, he buys himself a car, fixes up his house, takes a vacation, or does something else that takes this money out of the poker economy for good.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:51 AM

I know it's been said a million times CardSharp, but you gotta stop yourslef and take a break. Sometimes I go ont tilt and make a dumb play, and later regret those 1 or 2 BBs. 30 dollars here 60 dollars there, it adds up. I don't really know who you are, but I do know that I play with you all the time on the party games, and I really respect your play. Take a break, and go take the fish's money later man.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:01 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

when people win 100k or whatever they buy a car, pay off their debt, go on a vacation, etc. it is not standard practice to play shorthanded high-limit poker until it's gone.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
when people win 100k or whatever they buy a car, pay off their debt, go on a vacation, etc. it is not standard practice to play shorthanded high-limit poker until it's gone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, so the argument is that tournies are adding in a new group of money-takers and that that group is normally money-givers. Fine, I'll grant you that. However, many of the players in our games are 3/6 players who hit is big and have decided to give 30/60 a shot for a week or two. These are players that are not normally available to us, but tournies bring them up to our level before they are ready. Also, where are people getting the money to buy into these tournies? Either they are making their money playing poker OR they are players who much prefer playing tournies and would not be spending their poker time elsewhere. Additionally, MTTs are what have created this poker boom. Coverage of the 2003 WSOP brought many new players to our game, exposed poker as a vibrant economy, and legitimized poker as a skill game. Even if you argue that the direct effect of MTTs is bad for us (losers being able to cash out winnings), the indirect benefits are phenomenal.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However, many of the players in our games are 3/6 players who hit is big and have decided to give 30/60 a shot for a week or two.

[/ QUOTE ]
What about the other X0,000 people per night that lose $X00 in tournaments (I have no idea what these numbers actually are, obviously) that could be bleeding away money in the 5/10, 10/20 and NL100 games? Those games are a very important part of the poker economy for lots of 2+2-ers.

MTTs on TV making poker more popular in general is of course a great thing. But it doesn't really matter what you put in this slot... as long as it fuels the boom.

Saying tournaments are good for poker simply because a handful of people who do well may or may not go get mauled in the 50/100 games is not a very good reason.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Saying tournaments are good for poker simply because a handful of people who do well may or may not go get mauled in the 50/100 games is not a very good reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose that's why I made a coherent arguement with several reasons why MTTs are good for us/poker.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:18 PM

Default My October

So I got back from Aruba and something was wrong. My BB hole hit -484. So, I dropped down from 20/40 to 15/30, fixed what was wrong. I am now back at 20/40 and all is well. Despite having wasted 31 days (breakeven poker), I am both pleased with how I finished the month and think this might have been a good experience for me.

However, most of those winning hands were at 15/30. The hole is more clearly seen in this image.

Old 10-31-2005, 05:04 PM

Default Re: My October

well done. a 500 BB downswing is enough to make most players puke. way to stick with it and turn it around,
Old 10-31-2005, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
well done. a 500 BB downswing is enough to make most players puke. way to stick with it and turn it around,

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-31-2005, 05:06 PM

nice.

I would have broken something around the 24k hand mark.