Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2005, 01:57 PM

Default Mid-tourney suggestions needed

I have been working on my tournament game and am consistently getting through half the field with an above average chip stack by catching bluffers, doubling up with monsters, aggressive steals of unclaimed pots, etc.

When I make it to the final 5 or so of 20 person MTT's I am getting more 1st and 2nds than 4th and 5ths, so I am playing well short handed, and establishing a good image, etc.

However, in the larger MTT's (100+ etc) I am running into problems from the 50% left to the bubble time frames, with only 5% or so cashes when I enter the 50%-bubble levels with an above average stack. Does anyone have suggestions on how to play this particular section of the tournament? I seem tighten up to much, let the blinds chip away at me, get involved in a pot I shouldn't be in and get knocked down. The only really good run I had thru this was when I was tired and really wanted to get out of there, so I was just having some fun and playing hyper-aggressive. And went from 10K to 100K in about 20 mins... but that was me running so hot it was burning my fingers, so I know I can't do that everytime.

How do you play the mid-levels? Sit back and play premiums for a sizable raise? stay out of all-in confrontations with small stacks? Avoid the big stack and play ABC poker? Obviously limping into pots when people tighten up and are only 2-3 to the flop isn't going to work... Do you maintain the aggression and just be wary of the ones who stand up to you?

Just looking for suggestions... I have vastly improved early tournament play, now I need to do the same to my mid-level play (then I can start worrying about my bubble play and final table play [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )