Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2005, 12:12 PM

Default First hand, get limp-reraised.

First hand in, no reads. Totally standard or totally wrong?

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6.25 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets...
Old 03-30-2005, 12:27 PM

Default Re: First hand, get limp-reraised.

My first reaction was that I would probably cap preflop, is that out of line?

Otherwise I like the line. Do you fold or call a river raise? I don't think I make that play without specifically knowing what my plan is. I'm leaning fold, but without a read in a roughly 9BB pot now... ugh, I guess I want to call and at least get some information on this guy.

cjx
Old 03-30-2005, 12:31 PM

i checkraise this flop. is that bad?
Old 03-30-2005, 12:46 PM

Honestly, I feel like we have the best hand pre, flop, turn, and river. I could find an argument for attacking at just about any point, but I sort of like the current line because I think it may slow the opponent down next time he decides to get tricky (limp reraise/subsequent aggression). And additionally if he has an overpair higher than Ten well, I guess you could find out by raising the flop, but could you find a fold afterwards?

Or is it that you feel that you want him to fold rather than having the chance to draw to his 6 (maybe 3) outer? I suppose it'd get a deal trickier if an A, K, Q hit at any point

cjx
Old 03-30-2005, 01:45 PM

Pretty much every scenario you guys have suggested went through my head - cap preflop? checkraise the flop?

My thinking was this: I was either ahead or way, way behind. The value of pushing harder preflop/flop would be to get overcards to fold.

However, I really wanted to get to showdown cheap - as much out of curiosity as for information. Maybe that's negative EV, I don't know. I just wanted to get to showdown cheap. The paired turn offered the perfect oppurtunity for a value bet if I was ahead.

At the river, I was planning to fold to a raise, but not sure if it would have worked out that way... [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 03-30-2005, 01:51 PM

I think the line is totally justified when you are really interested in information. But if you already had a read on the opponent (which I guess would change everything), I'd have been inclined to check/raise either the flop or turn.
Old 03-30-2005, 03:01 PM

Heads up, I don't mind giving free cards that much. Especially w/ a made hand and against a tricky guy who wants to drive the action. They often will fold AJ when shown resistence. That said, I think that if you were to check raise, you should do it on the flop. You will get called by overs on the turn so you are not really getting rid of overcards if you do it on the turn. Likewise, a flop c/r followed by a turn bet will often protect you from a river overcard, but not a turn overcard. But you are not sure how this guy would play AK. Would he 3-bet the flop leaving you unsure as to whether to call or not? If you had a read you could make a better decision.

So I like your flop and turn play.

I think you should check the river. If he's bluffing, he will probably fire again. The second T is a scary card for him. He will call w/ an over pair and fold everything you beat.
Old 03-30-2005, 03:13 PM

I think check/call, check/call, bet/fold works well, esp. on this river.
Old 03-30-2005, 03:14 PM

He'll get called by big aces, I promise.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:06 PM

Absent any read, do you tend to assume the villian in this hand has a made hand or is semibluffing with overcards? What reasoning do you use to decide?