Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2005, 02:03 AM

Default Reasonable 3rd street play?

I figured with 3 overcards (even though an ace was dead) and a backdoor straight draw, that I had decent equity here, and by raising I stood a decent chance of getting him to fold the current best hand. Is this too aggressive, or no?

7 Card Stud High ($5/$10), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $2 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.70 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises___calls
Seat 2: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 5: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Old 11-08-2005, 02:13 AM

Default Re: Reasonable 3rd street play?

I would consider folding on 3rd. An ace is dead, a 10 is raising and if he has a pair of them 2 tens are dead(making a straight difficult) and thus you really dont have much of a hand here. Why put in $10 on 3rd for such a poor holding since you are likely already behind? I would look to wait for a better situation.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:48 AM

Reasonable. 7CS4AP discusses a similar play, although in that instance, I think the raiser had an Eight in the door. This is slightly different as an Ace is out. Also, a Ten would be a good card for you to catch. At least one is gone, and it's fairly likely that the raiser has another one underneath. Folding might be better in this instance, as the ante is small and the raiser is more likely to have a big pair than he is in a higher-ante game.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:58 AM

Most people at 5/10 will not fold here. It might be a good play against someone you know to be quite good and tight. However, with a hand like (K10) 10 it would probably be correct to play to the river even if he thought you had a pair of jacks.

Does anyone else think this hand is worth a call - you'll probably be heads up anyway, so there is less reason to raise here, and it may be worth seeing what comes off on fourth and/or fifth?
Old 11-08-2005, 08:20 PM

Why bother? Wait for a better spot when all your cards are clean.

Plus---if you have been making plays like this with any sort of frequency, you are going to get called a lot.

Do you have a plan for 4th 5th and on if you blank?

Is the 10 a raiser who frequently has nothing, or a tight player who will fold?

I prefer to make that play against a 10 if I have a clean ace up, with a high two flush in the hole, like (KQs)A. The ace strikes fear into more players, and there is no card on the turn that can give them an overcard to the pair you are representing.