Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2005, 11:04 PM

Default Operation Extraction: Flop 2nd Set on AXX

Seat 1: snake8484 (3350 in chips)
Seat 2: northerngent (6425 in chips)
Seat 3: BlueDragon12 (2535 in chips)
Seat 4: 0evg0 (7620 in chips)
Seat 5: klenav (3200 in chips)
Seat 6: rouzmat (7495 in chips)
Seat 7: Isidor (3670 in chips)
Seat 9: TheBlueDragn (2570 in chips)
0evg0: posts small blind 50
klenav: posts big blind 100
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to 0evg0 [9d 9s]
rouzmat: folds
Isidor: folds
TheBlueDragn: folds
snake8484: folds
northerngent: raises 250 to 350
BlueDragon12: folds
0evg0: calls 300
klenav: folds
*** FLOP *** [9h 4h Ad]

Read on Villain is that he is a solid player and quite agressive. I feel that he will reraise most any bet with most any ace here. Controlled agression but I'm thinking I can exploit it here.

I'm first to act, I...?
Old 09-26-2005, 11:18 PM

Default Re: Operation Extraction: Flop 2nd Set on AXX

One line that I really like to take and have used when I flop a monster is lead for 2/3 pot into the PFR. If he calls, I will check the turn to make it look like I was probing with a weak ace or maybe some smaller pair. This works especially well against an aggressive opponent, and if they fire to move you off the pot on the turn, depending on the size of the pot, I raise it up there in hopes of getting the pot big enough to push the river.

If on the other hand, he raises you on the flop, then I think it gets interesting since there are many ways you can go about extracting. A reraise on the flop may make him fold anything but a really strong ace. I think here a good approach would be to call and lead on the turn again for 2/3 - 3/4 the pot. If he still likes his ace and raises, then you can get it all in. How did it work out?
Old 09-27-2005, 12:07 AM

Against an aggressive player like northerngent who i know is betting this flop I am most certainly chk/calling this flop and hoping a heart doesn't come off on the turn to kill my action. If the turn bricks i'll lead out at the pot for 1/3 the pot hoping he puts me on a flush draw trying to make a blocking bet so he can raise me trying to shut me out of my draw. If I'm lucky he raises enough to commit himself to the hand. If its not a substantial raise I'll call again and depending on what comes off on the turn I'll value bet the river.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
One line that I really like to take and have used when I flop a monster is lead for 2/3 pot into the PFR. If he calls, I will check the turn to make it look like I was probing with a weak ace or maybe some smaller pair. This works especially well against an aggressive opponent, and if they fire to move you off the pot on the turn, depending on the size of the pot, I raise it up there in hopes of getting the pot big enough to push the river.

If on the other hand, he raises you on the flop, then I think it gets interesting since there are many ways you can go about extracting. A reraise on the flop may make him fold anything but a really strong ace. I think here a good approach would be to call and lead on the turn again for 2/3 - 3/4 the pot. If he still likes his ace and raises, then you can get it all in. How did it work out?

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this line alot especially against a solid player like Northerngent
Old 09-27-2005, 02:23 AM

The problem is he raised in LP and can have anything so his cards won't have an ace in them enough to bet out. I like check/calling and seeing his bet size.

The turn 100% depends on the card that comes off, but on a blank, you can either bet or CR depending on how much he seemed to like that ace flop-wise.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:02 AM

Sorry about bumping this, I completely forgot I had started this. Oops.

Anyway, I felt like if he didn't have anything, then any bet is going to take it down. So I decided to assume as if he was on a big hand.

Pot is 800 and I decide that a bet of of 250-300 is too obvious if he raises and I call, so I put in half-pot and 400 chips.

He obviously was a little confused by this and after a bit decided to just call.

Turn was a brick and with pot at 1600 I decide that I might as well continue to represent the weak ace that is trying to take it down and I fire 900. He thinks and calls. At this point I've decided he doesn't have AK/AQ/2pair.

River blank I bet 900 again, he calls and turns up KK.

I feel like I played this hand about as well as possible as obviously he didn't believe I had the ace and he would likely have been raising with any Ace there if he is willing to call down with KK. At the same time I was able to make a good value bet on the river as once he simply called the turn as well I knew he was either holding AA or far more likely TT-KK and was unsure of my hand.

Interesting that my line flies in the face of the suggestions posted here (and my usual line).