Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2005, 04:53 AM

Default Tough Laydown......at least I think it was

This is for the 20+2 NL tourney. A little background on the raiser Pet Monster, hes a apparently a solid MTT player who made the TLB last year. Average Chip Stack at this stage is 25000, at least that is what i recall and we there are about 110 people left (81 cash). Whats the move with AK in this situation?

PokerStars Game #2304953979: Tournament #10966849, Hold'em No Limit - Level XI
(600/1200) - 2005/08/10 - 02:24:18 (ET)
Table '10966849 4' Seat #4 is the button
Seat 1: dferbert (26730 in chips)
Seat 2: Pet Monster (19497 in chips)
Seat 3: RiverRattler (3977 in chips)
Seat 4: natesown (15591 in chips)
Seat 5: usque (6970 in chips)
Seat 6: stpinterrain (18037 in chips)
Seat 7: nana_wins (35768 in chips)
Seat 8: Mr Pear (9597 in chips)
Seat 9: silverfox333 (10495 in chips)
dferbert: posts the ante 75
Pet Monster: posts the ante 75
RiverRattler: posts the ante 75
natesown: posts the ante 75
usque: posts the ante 75
stpinterrain: posts the ante 75
nana_wins: posts the ante 75
Mr Pear: posts the ante 75
silverfox333: posts the ante 75
usque: posts small blind 600
stpinterrain: posts big blind 1200
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to natesown [Ac Kh]
nana_wins: raises 2400 to 3600
Mr Pear: folds
silverfox333: folds
dferbert: folds
Pet Monster: raises 15822 to 19422 and is all-in
RiverRattler: folds
natesown.......????????
Old 08-10-2005, 05:07 AM

Default Re: Tough Laydown......at least I think it was

I'm honestly not sure if I'd lay it down or not - probably not - but I don't have the reads you do...

he's going all in vs a guy who has him covered - so that would imply he's got something - but it's also a raise to what was only a mini raise -(or doubling the pot, in essence) - and if he was a TLB player, that means he has an aggressive style that probably allows him to pick up uncontested pots - meaning he doesn't want a contest lots of the time he's raising - LOL - and he ain't in great shape for chips either, neither of you can compare to the chip leader...

I think you're ahead of one of them and flipping a coin on the other, real helpful, I know..

seeing as you have about 11 times the BB, I'd call the push and pray it ain't AA or KK - if it's QQ and TT, you still need the same 6 cards to hit - and I'd put my faith in that Pokerstars luck that puts A's and K's on the board -

it's a matter of making the money vs. getting a shot to win it - if the blinds were smaller, or your stack was bigger I'd say no, but at 11 times the BB, I'll usually call

or has Harrington says, you have an M of 6.2 - (15000 chips / 2475 in each pot) - which is low Orange Zone, which is dangerous....and you have the third best hand in holdem.... - if not now, you have maybe 20 more hands to get one - - I'd make my stand now...

did you make the money? and did the big stack call the reraise or fold?

RB
Old 08-10-2005, 09:06 AM

I think the decision here is more about the original raise than Pet Monster's push. If OR had been raising quite a bit Pet Monster doesn't need a monster to make this play although I would assume 99-QQ's/AK-AJs. I don't think calling or folding is terrible although I think I call which means OR will need a very big hand to call in his spot. I may not be thrilled about it, but I think I call here w 15x BB looking for a coin flip and trying to get a big stack to make a run at the FT.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd put my faith in that Pokerstars luck that puts A's and K's on the board

[/ QUOTE ]

Classic
Old 08-10-2005, 09:22 AM

I don't hate either play here. There's a good chance you are ahead one of them and behind another. You could even be up against JJ & QQ. Of course you could be up against AA & KK as well. However, you do need to pick your spots to double up. We all know folding into the money is better than losing your buy-in, but it's not the objective here either. If you want to make it to finish in the top spots, you're going to have to make some calls like this one.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:48 AM

If you made a deposit to PokerStars within the past 30 days, call (the A will come)

If you did not, then fold.

Seriously, the other poster said it right: You need to win these types of pots to finish deep. I call.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you made a deposit to PokerStars within the past 30 days, call (the A will come)

If you did not, then fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol...

and if you have recently cashed out.. you shouldn't even be playing. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-10-2005, 11:16 AM

a lot of AK's value comes from having FE plus probably a coin flip if called. while you have no FE here, I think that your stack dictates that you have to make the call here. AQ is probably in his range and your call should freeze UTG w/ everything but the very best hands, so you will likely be heads up w/ overlay in what is likely a coin flip or you are dominating.

I go with it.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:40 AM

I'd fold. I'm worried here that you'll be up against a pocket pair and the other guy will have one of your outs and add that to the possibility that you're up against KK or AA. Your stacks getting low with 11BB, but I'd wait for another spot where you can open the pot and you don't need to be as strong as AK.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:29 PM

I had the same train of thought as blockafor, mid pair(99) on pet monster and A10 or so on the original raiser(who claims to had another pair), so i let it go. The original raiser ended up folding. Pet Monster swears he had KK though, but we all know you can't always trust the word of a poker player. I don't know if it was a weak move or a brilliant laydown, but i managed to build up chips and make it to the final table and place 5th (had 10s cracked by q10....) Thanks for all the advice.