Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2005, 04:34 AM

Default Avoiding draws

I don't necessarily like this hand but it felt right at the time.

BB is loose preflop and almost autobets any draw postflop.
UTG is LAGgy pre and postflop.
MP is loose-passive bad.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, MP calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP calls, Hero calls, BB calls.

<font color="brown"> My initial plan was to c/r a late position bet, or a UTG bet and MP call. Here I didn't want to check/3-bet and build a pot for a draw. </font>

Turn: (6 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, MP calls.

<font color="brown">My turn plan was to donk any non-spade as my equity is improved and I think I had the best hand on the flop, and now too. I probably call a raise as I probably have 4-5 outs, and implied odds should make bet/call +EV. </font>

River: (9 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, MP checks.

<font color="brown">MP calling the turn bet concerns me a little. I check figuring I might induce a bluff from UTG, and I didn't feel a value bet was in order. Thoughts on all streets? </font>

Final Pot: 9 BB
Old 11-10-2005, 04:41 AM

Default Re: Avoiding draws

You need to bet the flop. If someone raises, 3-bet. Checking just makes the whole hand a confusing mess. You have a strong hand but none of your opponents know that. Consequently you have no idea how strong their hands are because you've shown no aggression.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:47 AM

Default Re: Avoiding draws

my thought is that life is easier never slowplaying out of position

whilst i am prone to gross underthinking sometimes it seems to me that after this flop you will be winning this hand a decent percentage of the time - as your getting around a bazillion to 1 for money going in on the flop it cant be too bad to bet more

stripsqueez - chickenhawk