Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2003, 01:16 PM

Default Interesting Big Stack Final Table Strategy

Seeing Mihn Nguyen making the money in the WSOP reminded me of something ...

I was at a final table at a CSP NLHE tourney a few years ago when Mihn came in as the chip leader and then busted the first 3 players, including another big stack. At this point he had almost 70% of the chips and then, to my complete amazement, he stopped playing! It was as if he pushed the "sit out next hand" button for about 2 hours.

I had a short stack and he was on my immediate left, so at first I was rather hamstrung. But when I realized he wasn't playing anything, I had a lot more leeway with my blind steals. I was able to effectively steal my way up the ladder rung by rung, against someone who could have swatted me like a fly any time he wanted to.

When it finally got three handed, he had about 50% of the chips, the other player had 49% and I was sitting on a microstack totally jazzed about getting 3rd place money. And then the inconceivable happened: with me in the BB, committed to any 2 cards, Mihn raised for the first time in 2 hours. The other player reraised! I saw my opportunity to pull a Glen Cozen and folded my trash.

When the dust had settled, Mihn knocked out the other player and I squeaked into second (difference of over $3K). He then offered me $400 over my actual EV to take a deal and I was happy (joyous!) to comply.

Which finally brings me to my question, if you've made it this far [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] : What do you think of his strategy of noninvolvement until it got short handed? I mean, he played it basically like a supersatellite, assuming he'd just get it heads up and play for top money.

Anyone else ever see anything like this?

-Oz-
Old 05-26-2003, 03:09 PM

Default Re: Interesting Big Stack Final Table Strategy

With that big a lead, I think its a fine strategy although I would still play any monsters I was dealt. I'm certainly not going to fold AA or anything silly like that.
Old 05-26-2003, 09:00 PM

It depends.

If the table is going to allow him to steal a lot of blinds while they wait out each other and try to crawl up the ladder, then he wasted a great opportunity to really lock up first prize.

If the table was going to gamble with him and not let him run them over, then he should play relatively tight.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)
Old 05-26-2003, 09:49 PM

Fair enough, Greg. But he didn't play ~one~ hand (after knocking out the other big stack) until we were 3 handed. I kept saying "OK, he's not going to let me steal his big blind *again*, is he?" I kept waiting for the hammer to fall and it never did!

I guess I agree with you in that he squandered a good opportunity to lock 1st up, if he'd only loosened up a little. Oh well, I seemed to be the only one taking advantage of his tight play and it kept me in the tourney when I desperately needed it.

Thanks,

-Oz-

PS RE: your WSOP play. My 2 maxims: 1) Be your own harshest critic, but then 2) forgive yourself. I'd really like to hear how you did, your impressions of the greatly expanded field and the lesson for all of us in your bustout hand once you've reached step 2. Many of us are still striving to take our first shot at the darned thing [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img].