Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2005, 08:12 PM

Default 2 AJo hands I\'m not proud of

1) Villain is fairly loose, passive preflop and moderately aggro postflop (40/5/1)

I especially bet that turn because of the 2 clubs on board. Anyone play any streets differently?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 4 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

Flop: (4 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (5 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (9 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11 BB

2) No reads on the CO, I'd seen the button cold-call KTo from an UTG raise a few hands back. I'm fairly new to this table.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls.

Anyone 3-bet here? I would've if it was HU. But then again there's a good chance the button has put it dead money so I should raise when I have the equity.

Flop: (6.40 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, CO calls.

I usually lead out here and try and get the CO to raise me to protect my hand, but this time I decided to trap the button w/ my TPTK hand. Anyway that's my reasoning.

Turn: (7.70 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (11.70 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button caps</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 19.70 BB
Old 09-27-2005, 08:42 PM

Default Re: 2 AJo hands I\'m not proud of

hand 2 looked fine.. not sure why your not proud?

hand 1
if your going to bet the turn i would fold to the passive players raise.
if you cant fold to the raise, you should check and try to induce a bluff
Old 09-27-2005, 10:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if your going to bet the turn i would fold to the passive players raise.
if you cant fold to the raise, you should check and try to induce a bluff

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually he wasn't passive postflop. Anyone who sees has a VPIP and a post-flop agg of 1.0 is reasonably tricky and aggro.

Your statement contradicts itself. If he's passive, how can I fold to his raise OR induce a bluff? The former makes sense but not the latter.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:43 PM

Buttons call-3bet on the flop is scawy. Why did you go so many bets with him on the river when you are chopping at best? People who call 3bet usually drop me to calldown mode quickly. Bet-call on the turn is fine I think, but I dunno, on the river I don't think we're going any better than chopping.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Buttons call-3bet on the flop is scawy. Why did you go so many bets with him on the river when you are chopping at best? People who call 3bet usually drop me to calldown mode quickly. Bet-call on the turn is fine I think, but I dunno, on the river I don't think we're going any better than chopping.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to just slow down on the river when it looked like a clear chop, and then I found wackos who would go nuts with the ass end of straights or boats. Just a couple days ago I had someone raise the river on a KQJTx board and call my 3-bet with T4. It's different with the nuts, but this still seems fine on the river.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:48 AM

The river I think I like. My read after he raises the turn is he's got 66, 99, J9, or possibly an overpair. After the river paired the 9, I figured I'm ahead more often than behind (and obviously tied a large percentage of the time).

I agree with New001 though. I think a river cap is +EV.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:38 AM

The river cap is definitley +EV. I got C/R and then capped by an opponent with a 9 on a TJQKx board. It was phenomenal. Somehow the buttons, Call-3bet isn't scary to me. I see that as being J8o way more often than it is a set or two pair.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:35 AM

I don't think J8 is ever going to call-3bet there. The call-3bet is almost always a strong hand or a strong draw for value.