Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2005, 11:57 PM

Default Re: NYC poker raid?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Carry ID and dont piss off the police and you'll be fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

And you wonder why people don't like cops? First up against the wall after the revolution.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who said I wonder why people dont like cops? I know why they dont like them. Well, they dont like them until they need them. Then they all want special treatment.

My "dont piss off the police statement" was in relation to someone who purposley refuses to tell a cop his name just because he doesnt want to. You think that makes sense? Dont piss off a fry cook as hes cooking your burger, dont piss off the DVC clerk, and dont piss off a cop. Its counter-productive, believe me.

Actually, you probably would like me. I once went over a year and a half without needing a new ticket book. They have 25 in each book. I was too busy with real criminals in the part of the city that I patrolled to worry about writing tickets.

To the guy who said that cops and DAs dont always do exactly what theyre suppossed to do with relation to laws...you are correct sir. Nothing I can or would want to say to defend those people, but there are crooked people in every profession.

These employees could possibly still be locked up, but if NYC still does things this way (not see a judge all weekend), they are WAY behind the times and need to come into the 21st century.
Old 05-30-2005, 12:20 AM

There is a judge on duty in NYC 24-7-365. 24 hrs to be arraigned.
Old 05-30-2005, 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There is a judge on duty in NYC 24-7-365. 24 hrs to be arraigned.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some answers/response to various posts:

Dealers arrested Thursday Night were not arraigned until Saturday morning. Apparently the rule in NY is 36 hours to be arraigned. I understand the dealers were charged with a Class E Felony and a Class B Misdemeanor. I also understand that they all had a good time in the holding cell waiting to be arraigned.

I have also been told they were fed Rice Krispees and bad bologna sandwiches during their adventure.

And you don't go through "central booking" if you were taken in just because you don't have ID. You are brought to the precinct where your ID is confirmed and then you are released (assuming there is no reason to hold you)

And you do not "profit" from gambling under the law by winning money playing cards -- players are explicitly excluded from the definition under the statutes.

I think that answers some of the questions and corrects some of the inaccuracies recently posted on this thread.

And, of course, I could be wrong... and often I am.
Old 05-30-2005, 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I also understand that they all had a good time in the holding cell waiting to be arraigned.

[/ QUOTE ]

What does this mean?
Old 05-30-2005, 02:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And there are damn good reasons why they should be passed.

[/ QUOTE ]

And what are those reasons?

[/ QUOTE ]

Personal freedom?

[ QUOTE ]
Sure -- you believe it is your right to do as you see fit with your own money without government interference. But many people believe that gambling (lets assume poker is gambling for the moment) is bad for society.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are lots of things that lots of busybodies believe are bad for society. There's always somebody that knows better than you, you should just listen to them and shut up, they've got your best interests at heart.

[ QUOTE ]
Credit cards, the ability to purchase private real estate, the stock market certainly leads many people to financial difficulties and make them a drain on our resources and a burden to all taxpayers.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, the legislature is unlikely to change the law anytime soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, but that doesn't mean there aren't good reasons it should be.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I also understand that they all had a good time in the holding cell waiting to be arraigned.

[/ QUOTE ]

What does this mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

No details... just heard that they kept each other entertained since they were all being held together...
Old 05-30-2005, 09:21 AM

Remember -- I;m playing devil's advocate here... but I will continue...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Credit cards, the ability to purchase private real estate, the stock market certainly leads many people to financial difficulties and make them a drain on our resources and a burden to all taxpayers.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure where this quote is from (or what FYP stands for), but credit cards, private real estate and the stock market play other beneficial roles to society and are not just games... gambling does not serve those same purposes...

The point is that there are strong arguments for or against the legalization of gambling. The strongest reason fo the legislature to legalize gambling generally or poker specifically is $$$$ -- they only give lip service (if that) to "personal freedoms." They will collect more taxes if they legalize the enterprise... the state can't survive without the lottery anymore.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:52 AM

It is probably a mistake to hijack this thread into a debate on cops, but go re-read your orignial post, Iceman. To me, it illustrates everything that is wrong with cops' attitude and why I resent you so much.

You begin with this:

[ QUOTE ]
It is absolutely NOT illegal to not carry ID. It is also NOT illegal to refuse to identify yourself to a police officer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great. The police know the law. We would assume that they respect it. But, you go on to discuss how we had better do what the police ask and not "piss" them off. Otherwise we are going to be put to all sorts of hassles and basically kidnapped. After all:

[ QUOTE ]
Even if you are released (and they arent required to take you back to where you were), it will take quite a while

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet you guys love that little wrinkle.

The notion that my civil rights and my liberty depends on whether or not a cop is "pissed off" is beyond offensive. It is scary. You have handcuffs and a gun and I am supposed to worry about whether you are pissed off?

[ QUOTE ]
You think that makes sense? Dont piss off a fry cook as hes cooking your burger, dont piss off the DVC clerk, and dont piss off a cop.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is amazing that you an make this analogy with a straight face. I voluntarily choose to deal with a fry cook or a DVD clerk. If I don't like what they are doing or the service they provide, I can walk away. I have no desire, ever, to deal with the police and cannot walk away. After all, I might "piss" you off.

And since you hauled out this old chestnut:

[ QUOTE ]
Well, they dont like them until they need them. Then they all want special treatment.

[/ QUOTE ]

The cop's argument of last resort. Maybe if you spent more time doing your job and not hassling people who "piss" you off we would be a bit less resentful. The reason we want you to do your job is because we see you doing it so rarely. The special treatment we -- average citizens -- want is the special treatment we see you giving big shots every day. The rest of us just piss you off.
Old 05-30-2005, 10:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It is probably a mistake to hijack this thread into a debate on cops, but go re-read your orignial post, Iceman. To me, it illustrates everything that is wrong with cops' attitude and why I resent you so much.

You begin with this:

[ QUOTE ]
It is absolutely NOT illegal to not carry ID. It is also NOT illegal to refuse to identify yourself to a police officer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great. The police know the law. We would assume that they respect it. But, you go on to discuss how we had better do what the police ask and not "piss" them off. Otherwise we are going to be put to all sorts of hassles and basically kidnapped. After all:

[ QUOTE ]
Even if you are released (and they arent required to take you back to where you were), it will take quite a while

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet you guys love that little wrinkle.
<font color="red">You wasted our time by refusing to tell us who you are and you want us to watse more time by taking you back to where you were? Things like this are the reason why it takes so long for a cop to show up when you really need us. We are not out eating donuts. </font>

The notion that my civil rights and my liberty depends on whether or not a cop is "pissed off" is beyond offensive. It is scary. You have handcuffs and a gun and I am supposed to worry about whether you are pissed off?
<font color="red">I dont violate peoples civil rights. Like i said there are some cops who do, but there are also airline pilots who fly drunk and doctors who molest patients. I dont condo <font color="red"> </font> <font color="red"> </font> <font color="red"> </font> ne any of this but i never see people taking a stand against all doctors or pilots and getting all hot under the collar every time one of them does somthing stupid.</font>
[ QUOTE ]
You think that makes sense? Dont piss off a fry cook as hes cooking your burger, dont piss off the DVC clerk, and dont piss off a cop.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is amazing that you an make this analogy with a straight face. I voluntarily choose to deal with a fry cook or a DVD clerk. If I don't like what they are doing or the service they provide, I can walk away. I have no desire, ever, to deal with the police and cannot walk away. After all, I might "piss" you off.
<font color="red">YOu dont want to deal with the police? Dont be in an illegal gambling house. How about that? We dont randomly pick people out of a croud to harrass you know. </font>
And since you hauled out this old chestnut:

[ QUOTE ]
Well, they dont like them until they need them. Then they all want special treatment.

[/ QUOTE ]

The cop's argument of last resort. Maybe if you spent more time doing your job and not hassling people who "piss" you off we would be a bit less resentful. The reason we want you to do your job is because we see you doing it so rarely. The special treatment we -- average citizens -- want is the special treatment we see you giving big shots every day. The rest of us just piss you off.

[/ QUOTE ]
<font color="red"> You are obviously an idiot. Get a life. Ive been shot at numerous times. Ive been in a fight for my life where another officer got shot. Ive saved more than one persons life. Ive done my job and Ive done it well. You have no idea what an average cop goes thru in an avg day. Youre a typical suburbanite who wants the world to be safe but you dont want to "know" what it takes to make the world safe. You want criminals locked up and complain when they are let out on technicalitlies or because the police didnt "do enough" , but you also want to complain about peoples civil rights being violated.
This will be my last post in this thread.
No need to resent me. Cops are needed and you know it. Someone has to do it or there would be anarchy. I happen to be man enough to put my life at risk for you (even though you obviously dont appreciate it).

And by the way, I doubt that any of these cops wanted to bust these places. Half of them probably play poker themselves. I personally think poker should be legal.
And one more thing, I dont "hassle" people for no reason. people dont "piss me off" easily and I am not resentful of anyone. You are reading way too much into my post. I simply told you that not carrying ID is not illegal. My point was that we dont live in a police state, but police have a job to do and if you go out of your way to bog them down by refusing to identify yourself when its your fault that youre being questioned in the 1st place (by being in a suspicious place), then you should expect to be dealt with more harshly than if you just answered the simple question. We dont have time for your bullshit. There are crimes being committed all over the place and we are trying to "do our jobs". People like you are making it an uphill battle for no reason.</font>
Old 05-30-2005, 11:31 AM

Iceman wins.

He's made a bunch of great posts in this thread, thouroghly explaining the real law from a qualified standpoint and some guy who hates police comes in and makes a fool of himself.