Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2002, 07:53 PM

Default Post Oak Bet Situation

Very early in NLHE tourney, everyone still has ~10K, blinds are 50-100. The only person I have any read on is sitting right behind me who has called all preflop action so far, and has gone all the way to the river twice, without calling the river bet. I'll call this person "calling station (CS)" [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

In middle position, I raise to 300 with AQo, CS calls (surprise!) and BB calls. Pot:950

Flop: 689, rainbow. BB bets 100.

The problem is, of course, that I have no read on either the BB or the CS. If I were heads up with the BB, I would probably make a pot sized raise, but I don't see bluffing here to be profitable, because I expect CS to call any action. Folding feels to wimpy to me, so I make the expert play and just call. Much to my surprise, CS folds! Pot: 1150

Turn: 689 6, flush draw now possible.

Check, Check. There may be an argument for betting here.

River: 689 6 9

I hate this card, but BB checks, and I check behind, seeing no profit in a bet. I'll only be called by a hand that beats me, even though there is the possibility of driving an A out. BB turns over K7 and I take it down.

As I see it, this was BB's pot at any time. A larger bet on the flop, or any bet on the turn or river and it's his.

Comments?

-Oz-
Old 11-06-2002, 11:01 AM

Default Re: Post Oak Bet Situation

>>As I see it, this was BB's pot at any time. A larger bet on the flop, or any bet on the turn or river and it's his.<<

As I see it, this was your pot at any time. He is checking and you have position on him. You should have hammered him on the turn. If he is holding a 10 or 7, he might lay that down to a big bet. For your weak play you deserve to have gotten rivered in this pot.
Old 11-06-2002, 01:16 PM

Huh? He didn't get rivered here. He was ahead the whole time.
Old 11-06-2002, 02:41 PM

"Folding feels to wimpy to me"

I would have called as well because the bet was so small, but in general, I don't think it is wimpy to fold your overcards on a missed flop in NLHE.

Just My Thoughts,
Old 11-06-2002, 04:53 PM

Fine, I acknowledge that I should have bet the turn, especially with CS no longer a factor.

But I was more interested in the flop situation. I really hate playing overcards out of position.

-Oz-
Old 11-06-2002, 05:19 PM

But it's damn hard calling a real (~pot sized) bet with only overcards on a flop like this, non?

I called because a baby bet is basically a check when you're getting 10-1. Part of the reason that I posted was to show how inneffectual a bet like this is.

-Oz-
Old 11-06-2002, 05:42 PM

Agreed, I guess I consider it almost a non bet... the only time I do something like this is when I have a hand and I am trying to bust a short stack... For instance pot is 1000 bet 100 into a pot when your opponent only has 400 left... He is almost obligated to call, but at the same time is giving away a 1/4 of his stack doing this.