Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2005, 04:22 PM

Default so is it illegal

After 60 minutes, I'm really confused. I thought playing on line from state where gambling is legal was ok so long as you report your winnings to IRS. CBS made it sound like all on line poker is illegal. Any one know the definitive answer.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:23 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Re: so is it illegal

the media sucks
Old 11-21-2005, 04:23 PM

Yes.

or No.

I forget which.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-21-2005, 07:30 PM

Excellent point, they're foul and they suck.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:05 PM

No it is not illegal to play poker online, despite CBS's claim that it is. The feds claim it is illegal but they have no statute to back it up with.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No it is not illegal to play poker online, despite CBS's claim that it is. The feds claim it is illegal but they have no statute to back it up with.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is incorrect. Every state is different as you have to abide by the state laws in which you are connecting to the internet from.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:09 PM

Most states do not regulate what you do or do not do on the internet. They only regulate the operators and/or owners of the websites.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Most states do not regulate what you do or do not do on the internet. They only regulate the operators and/or owners of the websites.

[/ QUOTE ]

This may be true. But I know of some states that do not allow you to gamble over the internet. I think either Wisconsin or Illinois is one of them (both?) And I even think Nevada is one of them.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:24 PM

Let me add that I agree Larry, there are some states that have attempted to outlaw gambling over the internet. However, most states turn to the feds for help in trying to stop internet gambling. The reality is that neither states nor the feds have the resources to go after individual gamblers- it is not worth it. If they do go after anyone, it will be the owner-operators, but this creates a problem in that all sites are operated outside the US.

States have a very hard time regulating and prosecuting internet violations due to the expansive nature of the internet. A gambler can use an interstate commerce argument to avoid being prosecuted under state law and would instead be subject to federal laws.

EDIT: Just saw your response. Yes, Nevada passed a law that makes it illegal to place wagers on the internet. Not sure about the other states.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:58 AM

I never said anyone did anything about it, I just said there are some laws here and there [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] It's like me smoking pot, who the [censored] is gonna stop me. Or it's like me playing poker on the internet wherever the hell I want, who is going to stop me.