Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2005, 02:46 PM

Default Good use of the turn donk?

This hand turned out a little strange. I only occassionally raise with KQo but this table was pretty fishy. Anyhow, MP2 is slightly loose/aggressive and the other two players have been playing very fishy and are making the table very good. 3-bet the flop? Turn donk?

PreFlop: Hero is UTG+1 with Qh Kd (10 Players)
1 fold, Hero raises, 1 fold, 1 fold, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, 3 folds,

Flop: (9.50 SB) Kc 7s 6d (4 Players)
Hero bets, MP2 raises, MP3 calls, CO calls, Hero calls,

Turn: (8.75 BB) Tc (4 Players)
Hero bets, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls,

River: (12.75 BB) 3c (4 Players)
Hero checks, MP2 bets, MP3 calls, CO calls, Hero calls,

Final Pot: 16.75 BB
Old 09-28-2005, 02:51 PM

Default Re: Good use of the turn donk?

I don't understand the river check. I would've liked either a flop 3-bet or a turn check/raise.

What were you trying to accomplish by donking the turn? Why were you scared to value bet the river?
Old 09-28-2005, 03:17 PM

I checked the river because it put 3 clubs on the board and the way the fish were calling down made me think it was pretty likely they could be on a club draw. I think this freakin downswing has given me monsters-under-the-bed syndrome. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

My thinking on the turn was that I wanted MP2 to raise again in order to protect my hand against the latter two player's possible 5-6 out hands. Bad idea I guess. Should I have just focused on getting more money in the pot here?
Old 09-28-2005, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the way the fish were calling down made me think it was pretty likely they could be on a club draw

[/ QUOTE ]
There's a million losing hands they could have. I like a river value-bet and a flop 3-bet.
Old 09-28-2005, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My thinking on the turn was that I wanted MP2 to raise again in order to protect my hand against the latter two player's possible 5-6 out hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

MP2 is more likely to bet when checked to than raise when bet into, thus you are more likely to be able to protect your hand by check-raising than by betting.
Old 09-28-2005, 03:29 PM

When the action is that multiway I just go ahead and 3-bet the flop and then lead the turn. You really need to be beating this river.
Old 09-28-2005, 03:31 PM

Been on the board a very long time, but not much recently.

So I have a basic question:

What is a "Turn Donk?"

Thnaks,

T
Old 09-28-2005, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
beating this river

[/ QUOTE ] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 09-28-2005, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My thinking on the turn was that I wanted MP2 to raise again in order to protect my hand against the latter two player's possible 5-6 out hands.

[/ QUOTE ]
MP2 is more likely to bet when checked to than raise when bet into, thus you are more likely to be able to protect your hand by check-raising than by betting.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're not protecting your hand by check-raising the turn - no-one is going to fold for one more bet after you check-raise. What you are doing is getting value from calls that are drawing thin.
Old 09-28-2005, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You're not protecting your hand by check-raising the turn - no-one is going to fold for one more bet after you check-raise. What you are doing is getting value from calls that are drawing thin.

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't matter if they call or fold. Protecting your hand happens when you put someone in a position where they lose (i.e., their choice is to fold or call incorrectly). If they have to put two bets in on the turn when they only have the odds to put in one, they've lost. When you put them in this situation, you've protected your hand. It doesn't matter whether they know they'll have to put in two or not. Even if they have odds to call the first bet, they shouldn't because that means they'll have to put in another one.
We've made our opponents make a mistake. We've protected our hand.