Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2005, 01:44 AM

Default How hard do you argue against yourself?

$2/$4 B&M Sunday. House rules are NASTY:
BB = SB = $2
Bonus drop $1 from every pot, right from the antes
House rake $3 taken as soon as pot reaches $10

I've got Q9s in BB, five see a flop of QJ6. I bet, all call.
Turn: J. I bet, all call.
River: 9. I bet, all call.

Everybody turns over junk, but the player on my right has Q3. I say "chop." HE says "no, you're the only one with two pair." The DEALER pushes forward the Q96, pulls my Q9 over, and shows everybody my "winning" two pair. I'm staring at the JJ on the board, but nobody says a word. The dealer pushes the stack of chips to me....

Do you keep fighting to give someone else half of your pot, or do you accept the table-wide mistake and move on with your life?
Old 05-04-2005, 01:47 AM

Default Re: How hard do you argue against yourself?

If he turned his hand face up for everyone to see, I would be ethical about it and make sure that he gets half the pot. After I see to that...I don't walk, but run to the exit and never return. It would be like playing at a blackjack table where the dealer won all pushes.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:55 AM

I'd speak up here and not tip the dealer this hand.
Old 05-04-2005, 02:09 AM

I would do what you did. In this case, both the player, the dealer, PLUS all the other players that saw the hand are Suckers. Ethical poker is for babies, this guy cheated himself out of the money by being stupid. If I was stupid enough to have overlooked something like that (and I have been in the not too distant past), I would hope someone would take my money (and they wisely did - a home game about two years ago...taught me a lesson).

Should I be a little more forgiving? No.
Don't play a game unless you know the rules.

I wouldn't feel any different than I feel when a Donk calls my flop, turn and river CR's with bottom pair. Don't feel bad...poker is basically lying people out of their money....don't go all soft on us.
Old 05-04-2005, 02:14 AM

Cards speak dude
Old 05-04-2005, 02:22 AM

Wow, I just re-read your post, why are you even playing in that game? That structure is terrible.
Old 05-04-2005, 02:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would do what you did. In this case, both the player, the dealer, PLUS all the other players that saw the hand are Suckers. Ethical poker is for babies, this guy cheated himself out of the money by being stupid. If I was stupid enough to have overlooked something like that (and I have been in the not too distant past), I would hope someone would take my money (and they wisely did - a home game about two years ago...taught me a lesson).

I wouldn't feel any different than I feel when a Donk calls my flop, turn and river CR's with bottom pair. Don't feel bad...poker is basically lying people out of their money....don't go all soft on us.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's cheating. It's just like getting away with holding a card off. You intentionally broke the rules to cheat someone else out of their money.
Old 05-04-2005, 02:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's cheating. It's just like getting away with holding a card off. You intentionally broke the rules to cheat someone else out of their money.

[/ QUOTE ]

It may or may not be unethical but there is no way this can be considered cheating.
Old 05-04-2005, 02:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It may or may not be unethical but there is no way this can be considered cheating.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a passive form of cheating. I don't see how you can see it any other way. You know the rules are being broken and you're doing nothing about it. It's certainly not as bad as holding a card off, but it's still cheating.
Old 05-04-2005, 02:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the rules are being broken

[/ QUOTE ]

How has the OP broken any rules?