Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2004, 10:46 AM

Default video poker books

I'm heading to Las Vegas in a few weeks and thought I might try some video poker when not playing the real thing. Any advice on a book I could pick up that would give me some basic strategy info. thanks
Old 09-24-2004, 11:10 AM

Default Re: video poker books

Mason Malmuth gave excellent reviews to the two books by Bob Dancer, Million Dollar Video Poker and Dancer's Winner's Guides. I haven't read them. Reportedly, Winner's is the detailed strategy book, and Million$ is more anecdotal with maximizing strategies mixed in. Check out his reviews in the archives. Mason is pretty critical and demanding regarding gambling books, so a good review and subsequent recommendation by him is high praise indeed.
Old 09-24-2004, 03:58 PM

Most of the books will give you dozens of pages of hand quizzes. IMO unless you plan to go pro they aren't really necessary. Get a playing chart from wizardofodds.com, print it out (maybe make it smaller by copying/pasting into MS Word and changing font size), and take it with you.

Knowing the intricate details like holding A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] is worth .0183 cents more than holding 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] is un-needed for non-pros. The printable charts will give you good enough advice.

http://www.bobdancer.com/articles.asp is some good reading too. You could also buy Bob Dancer Presents WinPoker - it has a really great training mode - if you'd like to practice up and perhaps persue video poker more.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:40 PM

Neither poster who has posted so far has named what I think is the single best VP book out there, Dan Paymar's "Video Poker -- Optimum Play".
Old 09-25-2004, 08:38 PM

I have just a few VP books.

Video Poker - Optimum Play by Dan Paymer
Win at Video Poker by Roger Flemming
The Video Poker Answer Book by John Grochowski
Million Dollar Video Poker by Bob Dancer

I repeat - for a trip to Vegas and a break from the tables all you need is a strategy cheat sheet. You won't even lose .5% over using optimum play that will take you months to perfect anyway. If you plan on pursuing going pro of course get some books!

Dan's is really good with bankroll information, risk of ruin considerations, etc. Bob Dancers book is really good if you want to read about the life of a VP pro. The other two on my list are so-so. For me (I'll do VP bonuses online when I can) looking at 250 pages of hands is boring and puts me to sleep. I'll just use a cheat sheet and lose the minute percentage because I make that up in entertainment value gained.