Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2005, 01:44 PM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts
Default Re: I have 2-2001FP and NO computer - Help me buy/build one $?

I object! Get a Seagate hard drive instead of Western Digital. Other than that, looks ok (I don't have much experience with ChainTech, can't really comment on the mobo)

Also, the graphics card you're getting is a non-GT version, so don't expect great gaming. You should still be able to play games on medium settings.

I don't buy games with gee-whiz graphics so I can play them at medium settings though. You might be able to get a better graphics card for a little more money on Ebay.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:46 PM

I am not really into gaming anymore, just want to be able to support my two monitors without problems. I was trying to stick to newegg since it's all in one place then and comes together and seems to have a good reputation.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:47 PM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts

I like newegg as well. Their prices and/or shipping aren't always the best, but they have excellent selection and great service.

I still recommend you snag a Seagate instead of Western Digital, much more reliable.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am not really into gaming anymore, just want to be able to support my two monitors without problems. I was trying to stick to newegg since it's all in one place then and comes together and seems to have a good reputation.

[/ QUOTE ]

that card is more than you need to simply support 2 monitors.

it still looks an awful lot like the Dell I bought for $400 less [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-18-2005, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

it still looks an awful lot like the Dell I bought for $400 less

[/ QUOTE ]

Does anyone else agree or disagree that what I'm getting is worth the price difference?
Old 10-18-2005, 03:05 PM

Dell sucks monkeyballs. That's the truth!

Over 1,000 ratings and it's below 5 points out of 10. Dell Ratings At ResellerRatings.com
Old 10-18-2005, 03:08 PM

Alot of noice for alot of money that is for sure.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

it still looks an awful lot like the Dell I bought for $400 less

[/ QUOTE ]

Does anyone else agree or disagree that what I'm getting is worth the price difference?

[/ QUOTE ]

it really depends on what "worth it" means to you. if you still want a computer as described in your OP, then no, it's not worth it to build this machine. if you are particularly interested in some of those components you've picked (which I doubt), or the ability to do somewhat easier upgrades in the future, then your custom build may be worth it.

also, you probably need to figure the cost of buying Windows, which comes included on (almost?) every Dell.

put it this way - the CPU in my PC sells on Newegg for $240. I think I got a sweet deal.

there is some work involved both ways - I had to sell a monitor, and you'll have to build a PC. at least with Dell, I got a year warranty.

you could also just buy one on Ebay, which can sometimes be cheaper than buying from Dell directly
Old 10-18-2005, 03:47 PM

Thanks all for the help, I am going to go ahead and buy the setup I last posted.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:28 PM

Default I am sorry that you ...

feel so strongly about the "crap" that I used to build my system. I spoke with a couple of friends in the IT department about the items used and they said that they had good experiences. I have had the system running virtually EVERY day for 8 to 14 hours a day for 8 months now, and have NO problems what-so-ever.

It was merely a suggestion. Personal opinion is just that.

At least there was something in the system that you thought worthwhile, although I am not sure what that might have been. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]