Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2005, 02:41 PM

Default Are fights at poker tables a normal occurance at the big card rooms?

Just asking because last week i went to the commerce, it was like 8am, and i ate breakfast at an empty table beside a heated 40/80 game table.

All of a sudden theres a bunch of commotion ofver a hand. Couldnt make out the details from where i sat but it seemed to be about some player going allin for just a nickel more on a turn hand, and the dealer making some mistake where she called out a full raise and several people folding their hands as a result.

Anyways, a couple of upset players, still preturbed by the time next hand is dealt, and two guys, who happen to sit next to each other start calling each other names , then start swearing and yelling at each other, ultimately resulting in them standing up grabbing each others shirt and start swinging wildly.

I have to say, maybe i havent been around enough live games but thats the first time i ever saw this, and this at the commerce, the supposedly top live poker room in the world.

Then that very evening back at the hustler apparantly at around 2 am a huge fight broke out with injuries etc.

Is this an LA thing or pretty standard?
Old 08-07-2005, 02:52 PM

Default Re: Are fights at poker tables a normal occurance at the big card rooms?

From what I hear, the LA cardrooms are jungles. A while back someone posted about a guy urinating on a dealer underneath the table.
Old 08-07-2005, 03:00 PM

Default Re: Are fights at poker tables a normal occurance at the big card room

You should check out the post in Mid_high stakes limit about a 2+2er getting a beer bottle shattered across his head. I am pretty sure he was in LA too.
Old 08-07-2005, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
he was in LA too.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, but no... louisiana
Old 08-07-2005, 04:05 PM

Default Re: Are fights at poker tables a normal occurance at the big card rooms?

start working out. if you bench 350, i promise this will never be a problem. poker players, in general, are fat, sloppy, and giant puss's...
Old 08-07-2005, 04:18 PM

Sounds like Andyfox is losing it again.
Old 08-07-2005, 06:54 PM

I haven't seen any major fights like that...but have heard about a couple and given the nature of some of the players I have encountered I am not surprised.

A player urinating on a dealer under the table or breaking a beer bottle across someone's head.
It's a world full of drunken,testerone filled male egos who have to make up for their inadequacies in other areas of life by being cranky and rude.

It's all quite disturbing to me actually.

There was a bit of a fight where security had to be called when I was playing the WSOP single-table entry-chip satellites. But that was a few tables away and I couldn't really see what was happening. Some guy got dragged out by security.
I also walked past some table that had some serious standing up, pointing fingers and yelling. Lots of "you stay out of this...you weren't even in the hand". Doesn't sound like much...but when a couple guys are both standing and pointing and screaming at each other like that you know they are reasonably close to throwing a few shoves in there.

they looked VERY close to that point to me...floor came and settled them down (sort of...they kept yelling no matter how many times they were told to be quiet).
They didn't use the f-bomb at all...but I was surprised that neither got any kind of a penalty for constantly getting back up and yelling again after they had been told to knock it off. They were both just allowed to keep on playing.

I've heard a LOT of bad things about the California card-room as far as behavior goes.
I wonder if it would be any better at all if there was something closer to a zero-tolerance policy.
If you are even in the LEAST bit out of line then you get a warning...and when it happens again you're gone.
I suspect that some of these blow-up situations that develop were a little slower to develop and possibly the players got away with less than stellar behavior once or twice before it got REALLY bad.

I don't know.
Grown men can be real freaking babies sometimes.
Old 08-07-2005, 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not being a baby, and if you say that again, I'm callin mom! [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 08-08-2005, 05:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't seen any major fights like that...but have heard about a couple and given the nature of some of the players I have encountered I am not surprised.

A player urinating on a dealer under the table or breaking a beer bottle across someone's head.
It's a world full of drunken,testerone filled male egos who have to make up for their inadequacies in other areas of life by being cranky and rude.

It's all quite disturbing to me actually.

There was a bit of a fight where security had to be called when I was playing the WSOP single-table entry-chip satellites. But that was a few tables away and I couldn't really see what was happening. Some guy got dragged out by security.
I also walked past some table that had some serious standing up, pointing fingers and yelling. Lots of "you stay out of this...you weren't even in the hand". Doesn't sound like much...but when a couple guys are both standing and pointing and screaming at each other like that you know they are reasonably close to throwing a few shoves in there.

they looked VERY close to that point to me...floor came and settled them down (sort of...they kept yelling no matter how many times they were told to be quiet).
They didn't use the f-bomb at all...but I was surprised that neither got any kind of a penalty for constantly getting back up and yelling again after they had been told to knock it off. They were both just allowed to keep on playing.

I've heard a LOT of bad things about the California card-room as far as behavior goes.
I wonder if it would be any better at all if there was something closer to a zero-tolerance policy.
If you are even in the LEAST bit out of line then you get a warning...and when it happens again you're gone.
I suspect that some of these blow-up situations that develop were a little slower to develop and possibly the players got away with less than stellar behavior once or twice before it got REALLY bad.

I don't know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great post. Could not have said it better myself.
Mixing drinking and gambling seems like an iffy proposition at best. Luckily, living in L.A and frequenting the card rooms here, I've yet to see violence erupt at the tables.

I think the reality is some people just should not gamble.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:35 AM

The real reality is that some people are just idiots, be in at the card table, in their cars, or whatever.