Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2005, 03:37 PM

Default TPNK in the SB

Pacific 3/6

K3s in SB
3 limpers, I complete for $2 (?), BB checks

I'm not terribly comfortable with a 1/3 blind and question my completion here. What hands do you cut out from completing in a 1/2 SB?

Flop KQ2 rainbow
I check, check, check, check, LP bets, I raise...

Two lines:
1) Bet and if I get raised I know I'm done, fold the turn.
2) Check and call a bet.
I went with 2) since I didn't mind so much if the turn checked through and since LP bet, the c/r presented itself.

But I'm not sure on my line- any thoughts?

J
Old 08-04-2005, 03:46 PM

Default Re: TPNK in the SB

I think you have played this hand fine so far. I don't know if completing with K3s with 3 other limpers is +EV, but it is probably marginal either way. I like the flop c/r , you are isolating against an auto bet from the last position. I would lead the turn, why check after the c/r?
Old 08-04-2005, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you have played this hand fine so far. I don't know if completing with K3s with 3 other limpers is +EV, but it is probably marginal either way. I like the flop c/r , you are isolating against an auto bet from the last position. I take it you lead the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

His paln was to check/call the flop not check/raise. I would have bet the flop myself.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:51 PM

Flop play is perfect. This is the classic situation for a "wait-and-see" check. Perfect isolation situation.

Bet the turn. I can see no reason to check. You'd feel pretty lame if an A hit the river. Villain may check again fearing a check-raise. Folding to a turn raise is easy, in my opinion.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:53 PM

Preflop: I think this is fine. With 4 others in the pot you have plenty of implied odds IMO.

Flop: I like check/raising here. The button could be betting a wide range of hands, and your raise is likely to clear out weak pairs and draws. If the bet comes from your left my decision would depend upon what I know about the bettor and if I have a backdoor flush draw to go with my hand. In most cases, however, I'm not folding to a bet from my left in a small stakes game.

Turn: After check/raising the flop I think you must bet the turn. Your opponent might easily have a hand like JT and you wouldn't want to give him a free card. Similarly, your opponent could easily hold a hand like QT and you wouldn't want to miss a bet by playing passively.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:00 PM

Okay I see where you c/r now that re-read this. I think that is better than check/call (your original plan). Take away a limper or two and I bet this flop for sure. Basically if I'm gonna call a bet on the flop in a limped pot I just go ahead and bet.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:01 PM

I like it so far. If 3-bet, I fold the turn UI, since the board doesn't have a draw. I may be more hesitant to fold the turn if the player would 3-bet the flop with a draw, so I may take a bet-fold line on the turn to make sure that I'm not being pushed off the best hand. If he just calls the flop, I'm in bet/fold mode until the river against an average player. Again, reads would really facilitate the decision making process much more.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:13 PM

I only play 2/4 so I don't know about the completing question. I do know that you're supposed to play tighter, but a suited King might still warrant a call.

I think you have two options. Lead the flop, and see what happens. If just called lead the turn. On the turn I will probably fold to a raise. If you get raised on the flop my play would be heavily read dependent.

Or you could check raise the flop which I don't mind. You will likely push out everyone in the middle and get HU w/ LP. In that case, a turn lead is again necessary. If three bet, I am probably going to peel one and c/f the turn.

By the way, you might want to read this
Old 08-04-2005, 04:19 PM

Complete is fine. Bet the flop.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:25 PM

I'm very interested to hear why you advocate betting here and checking in the situation which Donnie linked.

They seem very similar; 5-handed and 7-handed are both multiway pots, and similar issues (lack of ability to protect hands, lack of knowledge about where a bet will come from, etc...) at play.