Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2005, 02:28 PM

Default Going wireless...what do buy, what to know?

So if I'm gonna upgrade, why not do away with all those nasty wires etc?

The question is, what's the best equipment, how much more will it cost me, and what else does a dual-monitor multitabler need to know? TIA...
Old 02-28-2005, 04:54 AM

Default Re: Going wireless...what do buy, what to know?

Linksys all the way. Linksys is made by Cisco, which pretty much explains the quality of the product.

Get a 54g wireless. Make sure it can also do B. Try to find a quality place to put your Access Point so it can broadcast, and make sure to install a password on your router, and even WEP encryption to make sure no one can be using your wireless internet from outside your house.
Old 02-28-2005, 01:01 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

linksys got acquired by cisco. it doesn't mean cisco's engineers went back in time and created linksys' products.
Old 02-28-2005, 01:34 PM

Let's talk about security. Supposibly current wireless standards are pretty weak. But its better than nothing ! One of the sweetest advantages of ogoing wireless is working from a cafe o in a park (university campus with wireless coverage). There is no encryption there. Is there anyway if protecting yourself from theft of sensitive information (poker site passwords) ?

Bubu
Old 02-28-2005, 01:42 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

WPA with a max-length, at least semi-random password is fine for now in terms of security. WEP is what sucks.
Old 02-28-2005, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Linksys all the way. Linksys is made by Cisco, which pretty much explains the quality of the product.

Get a 54g wireless. Make sure it can also do B. Try to find a quality place to put your Access Point so it can broadcast, and make sure to install a password on your router, and even WEP encryption to make sure no one can be using your wireless internet from outside your house.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got one of those, but I lose the signal fairly often. I even bought larger antennas and it didn't help. I had my laptop inches away from the router and it wasn't picking up anything. And its not just my laptop, my desktop does the same.
Old 02-28-2005, 04:12 PM

I'm currently running a wireless network with US Robotics gear. Computer upstairs in my office is hardwired to the router and PC downstairs uses a wireless connection.

From my experience, avoid NETGEAR products. I bought their router and card on sale - returned them days later. Connectivity problems - nothing worse than holding AA UTG when "Attempting to Establish Connection" comes flashing across the poker client.

Actually, if you do a "Search", you will find several threads with tons of info.
Old 02-28-2005, 04:42 PM

That's funny. I would recommend almost the opposite. I have had nothing but great success with Netgear products, both wired and wireless routers and cards. I would highly recommend them.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:28 PM

i've been running my netgear wireless system now for awhile, 3 computers running off of it and I have not had any problems.

There was one time where i got a bit lagged and had the "attempting to connect" message or whatever it is, come up. But it was only once and I was downloading and doing other stuff at the same time. Hell, all 3 computers might have been going at it for all I know.

But, from my experience thus far I would definately recommend Netgear.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:19 AM

I do use passphrase WPA at home. The problem is when one is travelling, say hotels or working in the local cofeeshop. That's what i got the laptop i the first place for...