Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2004, 03:06 AM

Default Re: Last minute x-mas shopping help (O/T)

Cubs,
I would agree with the poster to maybe on xmas tell her you are going to fly her up to see you and then buy her the tix for the specific date you two decide on. Then throw in a dinner with you when she gets there.
~Justin
Old 12-22-2004, 03:10 AM

Take her to vegas for a week. Make it a trip she'll never forget (binge drinking, strippers, all night gambling rampages, etc).

<font color="white"> Or just book her a flight to come see you in DC. I like my idea better though. </font>

J
Old 12-22-2004, 03:14 AM

hahaha... scratch my thoughts, I'm on jason's idea as well.
~Justin
Old 12-22-2004, 04:20 AM

My Grandma is 89 and going strong. Still lives on her own in WV (my grandfather passed-away 18 years ago or so).

She has requested a computer for XMas to the stunned amusement of my Dad. She has heard about this internet-thing on TV and wants to check it out. My uncle is visiting her this week and will be there to spring it on her and help teach her how to use it.

My Mom is 61 and just got her first computer a few months ago and really loves it.
I send her frequent pics of my cat or of me and my GF, etc. The whole e-mailing thing with me and some of her friends along with surfing web-MD and CNN and drudge-report and other political sites have made it very enjoyable for her.

I think my family may be a bit behind the times as I assume most elderly folks are on the internet already. But for those that aren't it's something to consider.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:40 AM

Grandma just got a new computer so i was thinking about something along those lines but dont think she would get much use out of any computer add-on... she is really tech savvy for her age and always encouraged computing.. she forked out over $2000 back in the 80s for my first computer, the trusty ole apple IIe. Thats so cool that your grandma has decided to get into computers at 89 years young.

I bought both my brother/sister-in-law as well as my parents digital cameras for xmas thinking they would be a good gift as they could send me pictures of their doings as i dont get to see them quite as much as i would like.

I think ill just buy grandma the plane ticket that way she wont have any option but to come see me. I actually would take her to vegas as she can act like shes 21 at times but her lack of moblity would surely make things a bit tough. I hope her health remains well enough through the spring so she can make it out her. She has been to the doctors about 101 times in the last 3 months and they cant quite figure out what is wrong with her... or, knowing grandma, she might not be telling us the whole truth of her health situation cause she doesnt want to worry us. Anyway, thanks for the input... hopefully ill be able to keep up with grandma when she comes to visit [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

cubs
Old 12-22-2004, 02:40 PM

Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards (frequent flyer) tickets might be what you are looking for. They are super-flexible, and Southwest will generally put you on the plane when you make the reservation even if they only have one seat left (as opposed to the capacity restrictons usually put on ff tix by the airlnes). You can find them in the classified section of many med-large papers, plus on ebay auctions, for around $300-350. That gets you two one-way tickets anywhere they fly. You can chain them together or open jaw them too, i.e. fly from San Diego to Boston, and then from Boston to Seattle on the return, using the two one-way tix. You can sometimes buy a single one way and use that as well. They also come with booklets for free drinks while on board, so if the seller is generous your granny can have a swell old time before she even touches down.

You might also want to look into senior citizen passes offered by the majors as of a couple of years ago (I haven't checked lately). You could buy one way passes for around $175 each, sold in groups of 4, for travellers over the age of 65. I'm surprised to hear no one suggested these so maybe they've gone the way of the dinosaur, but I'd at least call United, Delta, AA or whatever and ask.

Insp.
Old 12-22-2004, 04:35 PM

Don't you think that it would be nicer if you gave her the opportunity to decide whether or not she really feels like flying? Especially since she has been ill lately.

I suggest a card with a "ticket" (printed up yourself) saying "spend a weekend with your grandson, including dinner, drinks, dancing and general hooliganism."

Please choose one:
DC or Chicago

Enter dates here: ____________________
Old 12-22-2004, 05:15 PM

Grinins is a great idea, then she won't feel obligated if she if feeling under the weather.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:15 PM

Cubs,

It doesn't have to be through the airline. Just make her a fancy looking IOU, saying that you'll fly her out to visit on your dime. Just make sure that you pressure her to follow through, otherwise it looks like a cheap gift.

Freakin
Old 12-22-2004, 07:45 PM

Just make her a fancy looking IOU, saying that you'll fly her out to visit on your dime

If only it were this easy. I have tried this before and grandma is a sneaky little devil. I gave her a dinner out IOU on a couple of occasions and she always sneaks off to the bathroom and makes sure she slips the waiter her credit card before i get a chance. She will not let me pay if i dont pay for something ahead of time.

cubs