Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2005, 01:00 AM

Default Fairly deep 2/4 at Party

Villian here is really loose preflop and pretty aggressive. On a previous hand, I raised TT UTG, he called in BB, flop T-high all diamonds, he bet I raised, turn diamond, he bet small, I called with pot odds to a boat, river diamond, checked through, he has Qx7d.

On this hand, I'm a bit unsure about the turn play.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $4 BB (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Button ($270.35)
SB ($496.73)
BB ($983.57)
Hero ($750.4)
MP ($179.9)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $16</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls $12.

Flop: ($34) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $32.3</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $120</font>, BB calls $87.70.

Turn: ($274) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($274) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: $274
Old 04-26-2005, 01:04 AM

Default Re: Fairly deep 2/4 at Party

Okay, for clarification... are you
1.) trying to control the pot size?
2.) afraid of a check raised trip nines?
3.) thinking that he has an over pair?
4.) waiting for the second coming to protect your hand?
Old 04-26-2005, 01:15 AM

I really really don't want to get checkraised here. His bet out on the flop probably means a spade or top pair+. I think I'm ahead here, but if I'm checkraised, I am going to be very sad. By checking it through, I have to give up if a spade falls, but otherwise, I think I'm still winning here.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I really really don't want to get checkraised here. His bet out on the flop probably means a spade or top pair+. I think I'm ahead here, but if I'm checkraised, I am going to be very sad. By checking it through, I have to give up if a spade falls, but otherwise, I think I'm still winning here.

[/ QUOTE ]
So, 1-4? I can see reasons for every move, but only if you're looking to play a small pot on purpose. If not, it's just cowardly and you're going to lose a lot of money.

Working backwards...I think the river is okay because if you bet anything he calls with will probably beat you, aside, of course from a bare 8, 6, or 3. This is fine..... The turn I really feel you need to pot bet. Unless I miss recall, he raised preflop(or called yours) so I don't put him on a nine. We agree, at least in our blind assumption that he's on a flush draw. If he had the flush, he would have slow played OR continued to bet the flush. He bet out because he was on a draw and wanted to win it there...... On the flop, I hate not raising here. If he reraises all in, you know where you stand, you're all but dead against a probable flopped flush, and you're going to lose less money than you would have otherwise. If he has any flush OTHER than the nuts, it's hard to not make this raise because you don't want a lone A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] taking it away from you cheaply. He will therefore fold or flat call. If he flat calls, you can take a variety of different approaches on the turn and river, as I have already discussed...... preflop, if I remember correctly was fine.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:37 AM

What are you talking about? I did raise the flop, and I already noted that this player is very loose preflop. He could definitely have a nine here. Any turn card other than a nine or spade and I would have bet it.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:41 AM

I would bet the turn and fold to a raise
Old 04-26-2005, 01:47 AM

Bro. Calm down. I specifically said "if I remember correctly." I haven't slept in two days. You're right, you bet the flop, and I had forgotten that because i didn't have the hand in front of me. Also working backwords while doing blow = -EV of my advice. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Anyway, after reviewing this, I approve of the flop, stand by my ideas for the turn and river.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also working backwords while doing blow = -EV of my advice. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] A

[/ QUOTE ]

not like im one to comment on way of life, but it's my opinion that doing blow is highly -EV.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:48 AM

edge-

This line seems reasonable.

Given this guy's LAG tendencies, I might be inclined to flat call the flop and see what the turn brings. Depending on the turn card, sometimes you will fold, sometimes you will call him down, and sometimes you might raise. Popping the flop is OK too, but you might have to make some big calls with your vulnerable hand.

For example: what if he 3-bets you on the flop? what if he calls your raise and checkraises a blank turn? what if he calls and leads out on the turn? Maybe I am being overly pessimistic, but LAGs are known for making things difficult.
By just calling the flop you deny villain the power of those big moves by keeping the pot manageable (thus retaining the option of calling him down).

-muz