Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 02:43 PM

Default Re: Tilt from Hell

It is possible that you don't really enjoy playing poker, you enjoy being a winning player.

It reminds me of a friend of mine who dreams about becoming a published author - but who doesn't really enjoy writing.

My own game took a giant leap forward when, one day, rather than thinking - in which game can I make the most money? I asked myself - which game would be the most fun to play in?

Here is the funny thing - by playing in the games that I enjoyed the most, my game improved quickly and without conscious effort. I didn't have to 'work' on my game, it just happened, and now I make more money than I did when making money was my primary focus.

Ain't life weird?
Old 11-29-2005, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Recommending a tilter to play no limit is like recommending a a featherweight to get into the ring with Mike Tyson.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but you have to admit it's fun making those flush chasing biatches pay to see the next card.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I feel like I've played decent and I just haven't hit my draws or connected with any flops, thats one thing. But its the set over set, suck outs, etc. which I can't deal with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Playing as well as you possibly can is the ONLY thing you can control about poker. The rest is up to the poker gods.

I'd bet that you get really pissed when someone cuts you off while you're driving right? Why bother? It will make you unhappy the rest of your drive, and more likely for you to make "mistakes". Poker is the same.

Also, if people know that you will tilt, it's +EV for them to make an incorrect draw or two simply for the purpose of tilting you.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:37 PM

Its been said, but it must be said again:

If 15BB bothers you, you really need to look into how standard deviation and variance effects your game. Excellent players play well and inevitably go on much much longer and worse losing streaks.

That being said, in a single session, you can expect to be down 15, up 5, down 40, up 50, etc etc
Old 11-29-2005, 11:40 PM

Unlike a lot of competitive skill games, there are parts to playing winning poker that you have absolutely no control over. Focus your competitive tendencies on knowing that you played every hand better than your opponent, regardless of what the cards did. You're not losing that money to the fish, you're letting him borrow it for a while.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:42 PM

Default I feel your pain

Man, I feel your pain. I did a tilt today because of some crappy cards. I wish I was in your place, down 15bb.

That said, I struggle with the fact that I have no control of the cards and how cruel they can be. I have never dumped chips because of tilt and the first time I do I am done with poker. One of my biggest reasons for playing is to control tilt in my life. Good luck.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:46 AM

Just because you're a better player than someone else doesn't mean that you're entitled to 100% of the hands where you're only a 70% favorite.

Reflect on that.

70% is not 100%
30% is not 0%

The fact that a fish hits his "30% draw" 30% of the time is NORMAL.

To expect him to miss at a higher rate than that is YOUR error, not his.

Adjust your play and your expectations accordingly.

q/q
Old 11-30-2005, 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]

To expect him to miss at a higher rate than that is YOUR error, not his.

Adjust your play and your expectations accordingly.

q/q

[/ QUOTE ]

Very well put. This is a great way of thinking of things. Although I haven't had too much of a problem with tilt, if it ever creeps in I want to keep this in mind.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:56 AM

This post really helped me get through last week when I experienced a 200 BB downswing. I probably read it at least 6 times.
Seriously, you're in for a rough ride if 15BB gives you tilt from hell.

As for me, I didn't play over the holiday weekend instead choosing to order a poker psych book and just think about tilt, winning and losing. Played last night and logged a +25BB session. I don't know why I included this last part but it sure felt good.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:33 AM

What the hell is wrong with you?? 15BB??

Tilting isn't even remotely acceptable until you've dropped 100BB.