Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2005, 02:38 PM

Default Re: Some shortstacked hands

1 and 4 are clear cut.

2 and 3 are trickier. I would make the move in hand 2 with 33 and fold in hand 4.

In hand 2 you are in much worse shape vs. the blinds and need to make a move very quickly. You hope you're a coin flip, but you need to take the coin flip at that point.

In hand 3, you're in much better shape and I don't like the coin flip for half your stack at that point. If you win you are only tied for second and if you lose you switch places with shorty and everyone is working to get you out. When to call the all-in is something I'm working on right now, though. It may be recent results, but I seem to be more willing to wait until next hand and push with J2 than call with 44 now.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
SnGPT of course shows this is a fold but i believe this is +EV with the factors combined.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well yeah, I would have folded if the blinds weren't going to go up on me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-11-2005, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

In hand 3, you're in much better shape and I don't like the coin flip for half your stack at that point. If you win you are only tied for second and if you lose you switch places with shorty and everyone is working to get you out. When to call the all-in is something I'm working on right now, though. It may be recent results, but I seem to be more willing to wait until next hand and push with J2 than call with 44 now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I ran ICM by hand with the following range for the SB:

AA-22, AKs-A2s, KQs-K6s, QJs-Q7s, JTs-J8s, T9s, AKo-A2o, KQo-K7o, QJo-Q8o, JTo-J9o, T9o

$EV fold = 18.24%
$EV call = 19.45%
Old 08-11-2005, 03:36 PM

More thoughts on hand 1:

This is the second SnG I've bubbled in when pushing a medium Ace UTG with around this stack size and got called by a better hand. What is your raising range UTG here?
Old 08-11-2005, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
More thoughts on hand 1:

This is the second SnG I've bubbled in when pushing a medium Ace UTG with around this stack size and got called by a better hand. What is your raising range UTG here?

[/ QUOTE ]

You have already indicated that stealing the BB when you are in the SB is going to be very difficult so you need to open up a bit in this spot. I'd push:

Any Ace
Any PP
K7+, K6s
Q10+, Q9s
J10+
98s+
Old 08-11-2005, 04:07 PM

Is it really correct to push A2o here? Most of the calling range dominates me, unless I have reason to believe the big stack is calling me with KT, QJ etc.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:14 PM

I've had a nice roll of getting agressive on the bubble with good results so my thinking may be a little skewed. A couple of steals and you are chip leader. An orbit w/o a steal and you are the small stack getting pushed around. This is the time to go for it, although A2o may be a bit of a stretch.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Is it really correct to push A2o here? Most of the calling range dominates me, unless I have reason to believe the big stack is calling me with KT, QJ etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

No way am I pushing A2o here. I draw the line at somewhere around A6-A7, KT, QJ, and I guess any pair is good enough.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No way am I pushing A2o here. I draw the line at somewhere around A6-A7, KT, QJ, and I guess any pair is good enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

I busted in another SnG today pushing A5 because of this thread. hm....
Old 08-12-2005, 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I busted in another SnG today pushing A5 because of this thread. hm....

[/ QUOTE ]

Just search for curtains' posts [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]