Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2005, 03:39 PM

Default Just Back From Three Days At Luxor

I just returned from three days playing 2/4 at Luxor. I played about 20 hours and had a profit of $60. While this is not spectacular, it beats losing. Played in a marathon game with seven Germans, a Canadian, and another American. The Germans played very aggressively so there were a lot of capped pots. I was down about $70 after five hours or so. I played tight aggressive and managed to trap the Germans in several big pots. The game was made interesting by the other American, who occassionally posted a live straddle. To make a long story short, after 16 hours, I ended up with a small profit. The last day of my stay was highlighted by a short session where I flopped quad fives. I raked a big pot and earned a $20 high hand bonus. As usual, the other players were very friendly. The drink service was quite fast as it usually is at Luxor. Many of my favorite dealers like Jeff, George, Michael, and Vito were still around. I recommend Luxor for people who want a nice poker room where the competition is not too tough.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:56 PM

Default Re: Just Back From Three Days At Luxor

Did you see Blueman Group?

Jeff
Old 11-16-2005, 03:59 PM

Blue man isnt at the luxor anymore. They moved down to the venetian.

Congrats on the profit. I didnt find the play at Luxor very good. Maybe it was the dealers that didnt know what they were doing. That was over a year ago so maybe it is better now.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:28 PM

I hope you saw fantasy then!
Old 11-16-2005, 05:08 PM

You only made 3 bucks and hour. Do you see why?

JK, nice report. I played at the Luxor last time I was in Vegas and saw Schoonmaker. Didn't wanna bother him though, he was eating. The Luxor "card room" is a little small to me, but I'm used to Commerce, The Bike, etc. But the drinks usually do get there fast, which I like. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-16-2005, 05:40 PM

Did you keep a chip? I've got a $1 chip from my 3/6 play there a couple years ago.

nice report ... I've never played a 16hour session, I'd love to do it! Congrats on booking the win.

FishNChips
Old 11-16-2005, 05:45 PM

"You only made 3 bucks and hour. Do you see why?"

Is it rake? Alot of money goes down that shoot.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:33 PM

Does Luxor also still have that 1/2 Limit Game? As I recall, they give poker lessons, then let all the noobs start a game of 1/2 -- which is actually nice because it lets people get their feet wet.

I actually sat in on it for about half an hour waiting seat at the 1/2 NL game. It was probably the softest game I've ever seen. As I recall, some barely legal young thang, who decided that it was a good idea to see the flop EVERY hand (and I mean this literally) was hitting every draw and cleaning up. (Funny thing is that she wasn't the worst player at the table by a long shot).
Old 11-16-2005, 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"You only made 3 bucks and hour. Do you see why?"

Is it rake? Alot of money goes down that shoot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I was partly joking. But yes, that's why. Don't forget the jackpot drop too, which you may or may not get back in your lifetime.

Makes all those discussions about beating the rake at 2/4 seem silly, don't it? His sample size is small, though. Sorry, don't wanna hijack the thread.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does Luxor also still have that 1/2 Limit Game? As I recall, they give poker lessons, then let all the noobs start a game of 1/2 -- which is actually nice because it lets people get their feet wet.

[/ QUOTE ]

That game is crazy. $50 max buy in, but once you slip below $50 you can add on another $50. You would figure Luxor might expand their room some, or at least upgrade it a little. Nope.