Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2005, 09:24 PM

Default Can Continuation Betting be correct where players have no memory?

Okay, another semi-theory post from me based on the bizarre battlefields of NL25.

Basically, 90% of the players I play against do not follow players action from hand to hand. In other words, every hand is like the first hand for them. In this specific case, does it make any sense to continuation bet with hands? My conjecture is that, from a theory perspective, continuation betting only costs you money as it will rarely (if ever) force out a better hand, even if that hand is only bottom pair weak kicker. What are other low stakes 2p2ers thoughts on this?
Old 10-18-2005, 09:33 PM

Default Re: Can Continuation Betting be correct where players have no memory?

In my belief, CB:s force out better hands a majority, or atleast 1/2 the time. That, combined with meta-game reasons is why you CB. For example: orinare weak players will fold 7 7 on a J 8 2 board, especially OOP. That is why you bet your missed A K or 7 3.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In my belief, CB:s force out better hands a majority, or atleast 1/2 the time. That, combined with meta-game reasons is why you CB. For example: orinare weak players will fold 7 7 on a J 8 2 board, especially OOP. That is why you bet your missed A K or 7 3.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kongo, did you read the specific circumstances in OP? I agree with you in general gameplay, but "metagame" has no place in NL25 because it requires "memory".
Old 10-18-2005, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
continuation betting only costs you money as it will rarely (if ever) force out a better hand, even if that hand is only bottom pair weak kicker.

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't CB into calling stations, only bet for value vs those
Old 10-18-2005, 09:47 PM

If most players don't pay attention and metagame isn't an issue, won't that give you a better reason to c-bet? If your opponents find that you are frequently c-betting, won't that give them a better reason to call?
Old 10-18-2005, 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Kongo, did you read the specific circumstances in OP? I agree with you in general gameplay, but "metagame" has no place in NL25 because it requires "memory".

[/ QUOTE ]

I did read OP, and even though meta-game issues are of lesser importance at lower stakes, I do believe CB:ing is most often correct. Of course, always use your judgement. As the other poster said, don't CB calling stations. Always CB weak tights like myself etc.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I did read OP, and even though meta-game issues are of lesser importance at lower stakes, I do believe CB:ing is most often correct. Of course, always use your judgement. As the other poster said, don't CB calling stations. Always CB weak tights like myself etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I'm misunderstanding the main purpose of continuation betting. It is my belief that you continuation bet primarily to ensure that you get action when you do have/hit a hand. Secondarily, on occasion, continuation betting may fold out a worse hand.

It is my thought that at the NL25 level, the primary purpose of continuation betting is lost because players will only fold when they miss completely; they will not fold because they remember your previous postflop aggression with good hands.

If all your continuation bets are doing are folding out worse hands, then should you keep continuation betting? Help me see this in a different way. Caution: I'm both slow and stubborn.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If most players don't pay attention and metagame isn't an issue, won't that give you a better reason to c-bet? If your opponents find that you are frequently c-betting, won't that give them a better reason to call?

[/ QUOTE ]

But, that's the thing, Orange. My opponents aren't finding anything. Every hand is like a brand new day to them.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:26 PM

I get a lot more folds than calls at 25NL 6-max, 10-max is more mitigated.

Fact is, you show strength preflop, and most of the time, the flop won't hit either hand. Against non-calling-stations (watch out for stats that indicate he might be one), a CB is +EV. Even aggro players at 25NL will very rarely raise your CB on a pure bluff. And if an aggro player flat calls, I like a 2nd bullet, as he is most likely drawing or testing his overs.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:10 PM

So what are some stats that indicate a calling station?