View Poll Results: Organ Donor
No 32 37.65%
Yes 53 62.35%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-20-2005, 04:01 PM

Default Re: The simple answer

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you can pass field sobriety tests while intoxicated, you likely have a high tolerance for alcohol. This is not something you are born with, but something you develop over time, by drinking a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

drug/alcohol tolerance can certainly be developed, but they're totally born traits too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Certainly some people have greater tolerance for alcohol/substances, etc. that others, but having a high tolerance is generally something you develop. Individual differences may be present at lower levels, but to be able to pass a field sobriety test at, say 0.20 or higher requires serious drinking for a long time. I've evaluated folks who looked entirely sober and would have no problem doing sobriety tests, yet who blew over 0.20. One guy blew a 0.22, and claimed he hadn't had a drink in days. He looked completely sober (albeit a bit watery-eyed). Of course, I knew he was drunk the moment I smelled the air in the waiting room.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:33 PM

The one time I did get pulled over on suspiscion of DUI I had had exactly two beers (over the last 3 hours) and that's what I told the officer. In general I've found the best way to deal with cops is to answer their questions with the truth and do only that (without incriminating yourself of course). In my case he just talked to me for a few minutes and decided I wasn't drunk, and I wasn't.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's no reason I should be forced to be subjected to a breath test over something so trivial as rolling through a stop sign at 2 AM like I would do if my BAC were 0.00.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like you need to go to remdial driving class anyway if you can't stop for stop signs when sober...
Old 11-20-2005, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like you need to go to remdial driving class anyway if you can't stop for stop signs when sober...

[/ QUOTE ]

*yawn*

Sounds like you need to go to a remedial reading class if you read my post to say that I'm a bad driver who "can't" stop at stop signs.

How did a simple question turn into comments on my driving ability? Go away. Grown-ups are trying to talk.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:07 PM

Default Re: If not \"Two Beers, Officer\", then what?

I've been a fan of the personal legal limit also. Take a shot, take a blood test, drive through the obstacle course until you can't make it. I could be printed right on your license.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:10 PM

whatever you do when the cop instructs you what to do for the field sobriety test dont blurt out, "man, i couldnt do this sober!" like my friend did last week
Old 11-20-2005, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
whatever you do when the cop instructs you what to do for the field sobriety test dont blurt out, "man, i couldnt do this sober!" like my friend did last week

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL

How about "I'm not quite sure I understand officer... could you please demonstrate?" and then laugh if he falls over and fails to perform the test.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How about "I'm not quite sure I understand officer... could you please demonstrate?" and then laugh if he falls over and fails to perform the test.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never failed a field sobriety test, and I've usually taken them under (non-signifigant) influence. But then again... see, I've got this bum leg from a traffic accident, officer, and I won't be able to do this standing on that leg.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:10 PM

If you have been drinking at all don't answer the question.

Only roll the window down enough to hand out your license. Always keep some mentholated cigarettes in your car and light one up as soon as you are pulled over.

Always keep your seatbelt on until you are asked to get out of the car.

Never have anything hanging from your rearview.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:14 PM

which is why it can be used. You are not in custody at that point so Miranda is not necessary. That is why you never answer the question "do you know how fast you were going" or have you been drinking. It is not illegal to not answer a cops questions. Just be polite.