Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2005, 05:17 AM

Default Re: Errrrrrr.. Who calls this?

I remember watching this hand oddly enough. I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure this was you. You had just entered the table and the guy who went all in on the river had been playing incredibly loose and bluffing up a storm before you got there. I was going to say something to you but of course I didn't know what you had at the time. When you said something like "AK is no good" afterwards I was shaking my head. I am certain your hand was better. He didn't even have a K.

edit: I am certain he didn't have 88, 99, str8 or any of the other possibilities discussed in this thread. I had been watching him for an hour prior to this and he was as maniacal as they come.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:21 AM

first of all you desperately need to raise preflop. You don't want to play a 5-handed (or whatever) pot with AK.

After that your flop bet is fine but your turn bet sucks. Just check behind with the intention of calling a reasonable river bet.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]

After that your flop bet is fine but your turn bet sucks. Just check behind with the intention of calling a reasonable river bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol!?!?? You know that he improves to three of a kind on the Turn?

How tight are you people!? Lets check the river: Villian is putting our hero all-in. $74 more to call. Into an $133 pot.
That means even if villian have a boat half of the time you earn money!! Win $133 when you have the best hand and lose $74 when you have a worse hand.

And I promise you he will have a lot of hands that you beat a big % off the time. The only time I would fold this if I know my opponent and that he was very very very tight. Never against an unknown.

EDIT:
[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] AND I MEAN NEVER EVER!! [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
(If I had more money I might even raise it.. But it depends..)
Old 05-25-2005, 06:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You have only $74 left on the river. Call unless your opponents is a tight nutpeddler.

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes no sense. What does me having "only" $74 mean? $74 is a lot.

[ QUOTE ]
No, I asked if you'd call 1/2 a pot sized bet with the hand you had. Is there a size that you would call? Why would I ask if you'd call with 99? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Negative. You asked if I'd call a 1/2 pot sized bet, to which I replied, "I don't know." Then after that question, you asked, "How would you have played the river if you held pocket 99's?." To which I replied, "If I had the boat I obviously call." The boat being 9s full of Kings.

[ QUOTE ]
Never mind Skeme, good hand. Did you have a question about the hand since you already were convinced of the answer to the title of your post?

[/ QUOTE ]

My question was, "Who calls this?" I wanted advice on my laydown, and I'm receiving it.

[ QUOTE ]
I remember watching this hand oddly enough. I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure this was you. You had just entered the table and the guy who went all in on the river had been playing incredibly loose and bluffing up a storm before you got there. I was going to say something to you but of course I didn't know what you had at the time. When you said something like "AK is no good" afterwards I was shaking my head. I am certain your hand was better. He didn't even have a K.

edit: I am certain he didn't have 88, 99, str8 or any of the other possibilities discussed in this thread. I had been watching him for an hour prior to this and he was as maniacal as they come.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well that's just [censored] great. Thanks for the heads up, although I probably could've done without this bit of information. Actually, I still stand by my laydown. Against a decent player, I'll fold this. Had I known this guy was a moron, I would've called. I think I should've called anyway, as these limits are full of idiots, and I usually label them idiots until they display a decent amount of skill. Minraise, check-call, check-call, jam sets off my monster alarm. Bah.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally do not get this. What in the hell am I afraid of here? I have trips with the best kicker. My opponent is check-calling me and I'm supposed to check turn and call river? Why?
Old 05-25-2005, 06:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You have only $74 left on the river. Call unless your opponents is a tight nutpeddler.

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes no sense. What does me having "only" $74 mean? $74 is a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry.. I meant that some people might think you need to call $93.6 on the river.. When it's "only" $74.. But it was a bad choice off word.

But to your original question.. If you routinely lay down trips with top kicker against an unknown when you are getting around 1.8:1 in pot odds I think you are missing out on alot off value.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:46 AM

FroggyX: the guy doesn't have a king. Maybe he check-called K-Q or K-J on the flop. maybe. However, when that 2nd king hits the board and he checks again, he doesn't have a king. This means he either has a set or some straight draw. Given that knowledge, I'm doing my best to keep this pot small. There is an outside chance that he has twopair 89 and his hand is dead now.

So what's his hand range? He has 77, 88, 9-10, or 5-6. I'd much rather check the turn here and call the river to induce a bluff from a missed draw while keeping the pot small.

[ QUOTE ]

lol!?!?? You know that he improves to three of a kind on the Turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

hero didn't really improve against villains range of hands.

[ QUOTE ]

And I promise you he will have a lot of hands that you beat a big % off the time

[/ QUOTE ]

what hands does he play this way that you beat?
Old 05-25-2005, 06:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I totally do not get this. What in the hell am I afraid of here? I have trips with the best kicker. My opponent is check-calling me and I'm supposed to check turn and call river? Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

What hand range do you have him on when he checks the turn to you?
Old 05-25-2005, 09:18 AM

raise preflop... other than that, nice hand. i probably would have folded as well.

p.s. i loved you in the breakfast club.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:25 AM

i'd raise more pf and i'd be wishing for everyone to call (i'd take AKs to battle against 5 opponents).

Check the turn or bet more on the turn. Personally, I'd bet ~28 on the turn. If he calls/reraises then I know I am in trouble.

Anyone who wakes up on the river has you beat unless u think they are able to call bluff.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:00 PM

Ah, I understand what you're saying Ja.

[ QUOTE ]
i'd raise more pf and i'd be wishing for everyone to call (i'd take AKs to battle against 5 opponents).

[/ QUOTE ]

This can't be good.