Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2005, 10:17 PM

Default Too slow?

I think I played this too slow... but I had the board absolutely crippled. I'd like to hear comments, even though this is a pretty rare case.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (9 handed) converter

SB ($51.10)
BB ($45.25)
UTG ($45.45)
Hero ($50)
MP1 ($101.37)
MP2 ($52.50)
MP3 ($50)
CO ($52.95)
Button ($58.80)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB checks.

Flop: ($1.75) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets $1</font>, BB folds, Hero calls $1.

At this point I have the board crippled and I'm praying someone's got the case King or a spade draw. Anyway, no harm in smooth calling here, right?

Turn: ($3.75) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets $1</font>, Hero calls $1.

I don't have the nuts anymore, but I don't have him on AA or AK, so I figure this might be a decent card for me. I was planning on check-raising, but the small bet leads me to believe he's on a draw, so I just call to give him a chance to catch.

River: ($5.75) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Oops. Now what?

Hero ?
Old 08-03-2005, 12:51 AM

Default Re: Too slow?

fold preflop

i'd personally lead the flop for $1, but that's my preference.

not having led the flop, i'd lead the turn for half-pot or so. you have to bet sometimes...

river: oops. half-pot blocker, fold to a raise.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:34 AM

Raise preflop! (KJo is solid gold (to me anyway))

As played, you only got one guy in there, so you have to do something on the turn. Probably lead into him 2/3 pot. If you were planning a checkraise, go ahead and c/r him anyways despite his girly bet.

And then the river as played...I probably c/c a moderate bet. I wouldn't expect him to go crazy on the river after his betting patterns this hand. If you come alive with some kind of blocking bet on the end, and then he raises you....meh...just check and call with what will probably be a similar amount that you would have made with a blocking bet.

(FWIW, yesterday I played a 5-way hand with T9o...Flop came TT9 with a 2-flush...I was last to act and it checked around to me and I made a small tiny bet, and everyone folded. These kinds of hands are entirely dependent on what the villians hold as to whether you can get much out of them. Sometimes you do, sometimes you don't)
Old 08-03-2005, 01:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise preflop! (KJo is solid gold (to me anyway))

[/ QUOTE ]

This is 9-handed. Its pretty bold to raise 9-handed UTG+1 with KJ. Many people would fold this hand. I wouldn't fold it typically (in a typical game), but I would not want to raise (or call a raise with it).

I typically just bet these hands (especially from EP) hoping to run into someone with a K or a draw. The only way you are going to make money is if you run into one of these hands so you might as well find out right away. If I got called I would keep betting. If you played it this way, I don't think you would need to be as concerned about the aces.

Passion.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

This is 9-handed. Its pretty bold to raise 9-handed UTG+1 with KJ.

[/ QUOTE ]

I only play full table so I know how bold this is. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] It's table dependant of course. But, usually I am either folding this or making a standard PFR with it. I'm saving my limps for pp's and the occasional sc.

Crazy? Like a fox maybe. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]